• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anonymous on the web? Think again...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anonymous on the web? Think again...

Interesting experiment:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...m_campaign=rss

http://panopticlick.eff.org/
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Hmm...
    Your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 105,752 tested so far.

Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that conveys at least 16.69 bits of identifying information.

Good job I didn't think I was anonymous anyway

Comment

Your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 106,319 tested so far.

Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that conveys at least 16.7 bits of identifying information.

The measurements we used to obtain this result are listed below. You can read more about the methodology here, and about some defenses against fingerprinting here.

Comment

Yes, me too. I think turning off cookies might help. Will have a play around later...
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Question from an arts graduate...

how can you have 16.7 bits? isn't a bit supposed to be binary i.e. 1 or 0?

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            Yes, me too. I think turning off cookies might help. Will have a play around later...
            The "identifying information" it showed me was:
            • User Agent
            • HTTP_ACCEPT header
            • Browser plugins
            • Time zone
            • Screen size and colour depth
            • System fonts (gathered via a Java applet)
            • Are cookies enabled?
            • Limited "supercookie" test - in other words, checking support for HTML5 DOM localStorage, HTML5 DOM sessionStorage and IE userData.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
              how can you have 16.7 bits? isn't a bit supposed to be binary i.e. 1 or 0?
              Unfortunate wording mefinks... I'll be having a word with them!

Comment

I'll be impressed when it can tell me my name.
                Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  The "identifying information" it showed me was:
                  • User Agent
                  • HTTP_ACCEPT header
                  • Browser plugins
                  • Time zone
                  • Screen size and colour depth
                  • System fonts (gathered via a Java applet)
                  • Are cookies enabled?
                  • Limited "supercookie" test - in other words, checking support for HTML5 DOM localStorage, HTML5 DOM sessionStorage and IE userData.
                  That's what identified me. 100,000 or so tests is not really very many. I expect that once you'd tested every PC in the UK/Europe/World my identifying information would be pretty hard to tell from millions of others.

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
                    100,000 or so tests is not really very many.
                    That's the idea - tell your friends.

Comment

Working...
                    X