• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MMR Doctor acted "dishonestly and irresponsibly"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MMR Doctor acted "dishonestly and irresponsibly"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8483865.stm

The doctor who first suggested a link between MMR vaccinations and autism acted unethically, the official medical regulator has found.

Dr Andrew Wakefield's 1998 Lancet study caused vaccination rates to plummet, resulting in a rise in measles - but the findings were later discredited.

The General Medical Council ruled he had acted "dishonestly and irresponsibly" in doing his research.
    No doubt the Daily Mail will be publishing a front page article tomorrow about how safe it is.....
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Why it took them 12 years to establish it?

Comment

What has this got to do with Tax Avoidance?

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8483865.stm

No doubt the Daily Mail will be publishing a front page article tomorrow about how safe it is.....
        Now that its been shown their methods were wrong, will there be an investigation into whether their conclusions/findings hold water ?

and why do these things take so blooming long ?

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          Now that its been shown their methods were wrong, will there be an investigation into whether their conclusions/findings hold water ?
          I think that there's already been a number of studies that show that the conclusions that they drew don't hold water at all.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            I think that there's already been a number of studies that show that the conclusions that they drew don't hold water at all.
            they are in double sh 1te then
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

It's long been known that his conclusions were wrong.
              (see Ben Goldacre's "Bad Science" for how this has been proved)

Now they've concluded he was dishonest rather than just stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                It's long been known that his conclusions were wrong.
                (see Ben Goldacre's "Bad Science" for how this has been proved)

IIRC, the press coverage gets a detailed examination in Flat Earth News as well.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                  Which should see him banged up for a very long time if there's any justice.

All 3 diseases can be very serious with permanent effects and scaring some parents so that they denied their children immunisation is utterly unforgivable.

I can't remember has he been struck off the medical register yet?

Edit : Just read the report properly, apparently he's working in the USA.
                  Last edited by TykeMerc; 28 January 2010, 20:49.

Comment

Scapegoat

Scaring parents so that they didn't take the poorly tested MMR jab and had the temerity to ask for tried & tested single injections instead. That didn't happen because the government thought they were too expensive and couldn't buy them with a backhander / directorship from their friendly drug firm? So was he wholly resonsible for reduced immunisations?

FTFY.

Possibly he was wrong (I'm not knowledgeable enough to comment) but he was railroaded out of town at a scary speed. Surprised he didn't get found in some woods with half a tablet in him looking like an extra from True Blood.

I was quite suspicious of everyones motives at the time. Of course his studies were funded by people with vested interests alll studies are.

Now if he had studied the links between MMR & Global warming he would have got a government grant especially if they could raise taxes because of it. The report that suggests 1 cigarette a day reduces alzheimers risk wasn't likely to be funded by ASH was it?

However no one has properly explained the rise in Autism that has happened recently.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X