• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

JD Salinger dies at 91

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JD Salinger dies at 91

For those of you who haven't come across Catcher in the Rye, it was an American classic.

And far better than the mockney sh!te that the Beeb has just decided to broadcast. Bye for tonight Beeb!
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Read it when I was at school (about 10 years ago) but can't remember a single thing about it. Was it the one where a toilet breaks and a women gets poo on her head?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Bummer

One of the greatest writers of the twentieth century, yet apart from some stories that only appeared in magazines, his only published works are one novel (The Catcher in the Rye), a volume of short stories (For Esmé With Love and Squalor), and two volumes each containing two long-short stories (Franny and Zooey and Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters/Seymour: An Introduction), after which he retreated from the public gaze and ceased publishing except for one further story for The New Yorker.

A photographer got a shot of him entering a New York restaurant in, IIRC, the late Seventies or early Eighties; he looks thoroughly disgusted at being caught on camera

Comment

I read "Catcher in the Rye" about five years ago. It was one of those books I'd always meant to read but had never got around to.

I have to say, I thought it was a load of old crap.

The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
          I read "Catcher in the Rye" about five years ago. It was one of those books I'd always meant to read but had never got around to.

I have to say, I thought it was a load of old crap.

I enjoyed it so much I bought all his other works. Never liked any of them.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
            I enjoyed it so much I bought both his other works. Never liked any of them.
            FTFY
            The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
              FTFY
              There were three others...

Comment

Working...
              X