• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Retrospective legislation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retrospective legislation

A scary precedent was set today. On the lengthy and often mind numbingly dull journey home this evening it set me thinking.

Why can't there be other kinds of retrospective legislation. The kind that could see ex Prime Ministers and Presidents tried for war crimes after their terms in office, for example.

There won't be as it doesn't make any money, but still, that's the kind of retrospective legislation that I would like to see.
    Last edited by suityou01; 28 January 2010, 19:57.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    A scary precedent was set today. On the lengthy and often mind numbingly dull journey home this evening it set me thinking.

Why can't there be other kinds of retrospective legislation. The kind that could see ex Prime Ministers and Presidents tried for war crimes after their terms in office, for example.

Their won't be as it doesn't make any money, but still, that's the kind of retrospective legislation that I would like to see.
    I'm not normally known for my pedantry, but this inexcusable !
    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
      I'm normally known for my peasantry, but this inexcusable !

I already corrected one of those in the previous sentence.

I did say it was a long drive home.

Comment

There won't be as it doesn't make any money, but still, that's the kind of retrospective legislation that I would like to see.
        Edited ashamedly.

Comment

Leave my mate alone!!

He's not that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Tingles View Post
            Leave my mate alone!!

[Just in case you're serious and I'm not gullible ]

Comment

It's still happening to Nazis, isn't it? Or did they finally get to punish all the doddering old men? That was over 50 years ago!
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                It's still happening to Nazis, isn't it? Or did they finally get to punish all the doddering old men? That was over 50 years ago!
                That's not the same - you confuse retrospective stuff (making a crime something that wasn't) with lack of maximum period of time after which crime can't be pursued.

I have not come across with historical information on Nazies avoided/evaded paying income taxes, that certainly wasn't one of their biggest crimes in any case.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
                  I'm not normally known for my pedantry, but this inexcusable !
                  Damnit, as resident pedant I'm ashamed to say I missed that one.

In my defence I didn't spot the thread as I was cooking, but that's a bad lapse on my part

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                    In my defence I didn't spot the thread as I was cooking, but that's a bad lapse on my part
                    It's ok mate, take it easy - this is by far the smallest of your frequent lapses on here...

Comment

Working...
                    X