• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Govt paying £70k for one vote

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Govt paying £70k for one vote

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/c...nt-afford.html

The UK Film Council, a government-backed agency, the role of which is to ensure that "the economic, cultural and educational aspects of film are represented effectively at home and abroad", advertised for a head of diversity.

This, I promise, is not a spoof. The council is looking for an "exceptional individual" to run its diversity department. Yes, department. How many of them are there, for goodness sake? And what do they do? Is the British film industry so riddled with racists, misogynists and homophobes that it needs awareness lessons?

Having picked through the details, I am beginning to appreciate that the implementation of a "diversity strategy" is more complicated than common sense might suggest. According to the council's website, the right candidate will "develop an active dialogue with key groups and opinion formers", "allocate funding to diversity activities" and, naturally, "manage the diversity department team". It's true: there's a team.

Now for the knockout question: what do you think the salary is? Remember, this is a position that is funded by taxpayers, partly in the form of cash from the National Lottery. For context, here is a range of jobs currently on offer elsewhere in the public sector. A crime bureau investigator with Essex Police is paid £16k-£22k. A staff nurse at an acute-care hospital in central London gets £28k-£29k. An Army sergeant can expect £32k-£36k.

No quibbles there: given the demands and social importance of these posts, it seems not unreasonable to assume that those filling them will provide us with value for money. But what about the Film Council's head of diversity? Come on, guess. How much are we paying for someone who can "make things happen" rather than just "talking the talk"? What's the price for "improving diversity", ie lavishing political correctness on a creative industry? £40k? £50k? Keep going. The answer is £70k, plus benefits.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

How do I apply?
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

70k plus benefits?

If I send you my CV and you get a margin of say 10%, could you get me 80k?
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
        How do I apply?
        More importantly 20% of £70k is

£14,000 luvly jubly
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

You're not placing this one then Dodgy?
          Numbly tolerating the inequality as a way to achieve greater prosperity for all.

Comment

Originally posted by George Parr View Post
            You're not placing this one then Dodgy?
            No havent got enough illegal immigrants working for me to pass the supplier test

Comment

Why would anyone on here take a pay cut?

Look we all know Labour are full of this tulip ... roll on election time ...

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                No havent got enough illegal immigrants working for me to pass the supplier test
                If I were to promise to hire a team of female bisexual contractors of diverse ethnicities in the agegroup 18-35, would you put me forward for the job?

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  If I were to promise to hire a team of female bisexual contractors of diverse ethnicities in the agegroup 18-35, would you put me forward for the job?
                  What sort of job would that be exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    What sort of job would that be exactly?
                    'Head of Diversity'

Comment

Working...
                    X