• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Office Move

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Office Move

In a recent PR move the old site is getting a facelift, I'm writing some editorials for the local rag on IT stuff and generally trying to raise awareness locally of my company. SY02 has 'encouraged' me to get some office space. If I was to do this it would be more professional than holding meetings in my dining room, that's for sure, but what costs are there involved? Business rates? How do you find out.

My contractor buddy mentioned grants for stuff like this. Has anyone done this and tapped the grant system for some dosh? What are your experiences?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Rent a desk in a local science park or similar - often rates will be included and they'd have some space for meetings.

Rates are PITA, takes forever to deal with council on variation issues

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      In a recent PR move the old site is getting a facelift, I'm writing some editorials for the local rag on IT stuff and generally trying to raise awareness locally of my company. SY02 has 'encouraged' me to get some office space. If I was to do this it would be more professional than holding meetings in my dining room, that's for sure, but what costs are there involved? Business rates? How do you find out.

My contractor buddy mentioned grants for stuff like this. Has anyone done this and tapped the grant system for some dosh? What are your experiences?
      Between every gig I've tried to tap up the so-called Business Enterprise Schemes for anything really, all I got was a few marketing courses, no cash or free owt unless I matched it, better than nowt I suppose...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        Between every gig I've tried to tap up the so-called Business Enterprise Schemes for anything really, all I got was a few marketing courses, no cash or free owt unless I matched it, better than nowt I suppose...
        Plan B was delayed waiting for Enterprise Scheme muppets to come up with the promised goods which ultimately never happened. Was chosen as one of five companies in Scotland last year to be on their fast track programme as they reckoned we had a very high chance of success coupled with an export market and advance orders. Much promises and meetings and nothing ever came of it and of course went our own way as we had always planned.
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
          went our own way as we had always planned.
          That's the best way in any case.

Comment

Plan B was delayed waiting for Enterprise Scheme muppets to come up with the promised goods which ultimately never happened. Was chosen as one of five companies in Scotland last year to be on their fast track programme as they reckoned we had a very high chance of success coupled with an export market and advance orders. Much promises and meetings and nothing ever came of it and of course went our own way as we had always planned.
            Funnily enough one time I tried was when I lived in Dumfries, went to Scottish Enterprise, some place on Buccleuch Street Bridge, mind you I was just after freebies, no prospects! Got nowt except a lecture about accounting which was pointless since I was in Accountancy before IT anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              That's the best way in any case.
              That's for sure. I do regret the delays after listening to their advice though. Seems the whole exercise was about justifying their own existence, 'the stats show we helped x number of companies to get started' etc.
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                Funnily enough one time I tried was when I lived in Dumfries, went to Scottish Enterprise, some place on Buccleuch Street Bridge, mind you I was just after freebies, no prospects! Got nowt except a lecture about accounting which was pointless since I was in Accountancy before IT anyway...
                The first guy I was sent to for advice knew less about running a company than I did. Turned out he had two failed businesses under his belt before being employed by SE as a consultant
                Me, me, me...

Comment

The first guy I was sent to for advice knew less about running a company than I did. Turned out he had two failed businesses under his belt before being employed by SE as a consultant
                  Hope for us all then!

Doing the same in Bradford now but I have to admit the Sales and Marketing stuff is really good, really empowers me so it's not all waffle they spout out, I always say if you can sell, you can thrive....

Comment

They are a bloody shambles that mob, I know someone who was offered a grant if he gave the guy 10% back in an envelope.

I have a friend that does startup business development for them, he says they should just go out on the street and throw the budget up in the air and that would be as fair a system as they have currently.

They seem to be more intersted in paying out money to keep graduates in a job rather than taking a gamble on innovation. I told my friend that with the current rules google would have been knocked back for money and he agreed.

Comment

Working...
                    X