• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is a Project Manager a boss?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is a Project Manager a boss?

So you work as a developer and report to a 'line manager' - effectively your 'boss' (ok, I know - but he signs your timesheet and could ask you to leave).

Every project I work on, there is a PM who seems to think that he is my boss. But he's not is he? He is an equal who is in charge of overseeing a project and nothing more.

Sure, as a resource I can be assigned tasks by him, but he can't talk down to me or insist that I work late - or anything really!

So to all you PMs out there - get of your high fecking horse!

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
    So you work as a developer and report to a 'line manager' - effectively your 'boss' (ok, I know - but he signs your timesheet and could ask you to leave).

Every project I work on, there is a PM who seems to think that he is my boss. But he's not is he? He is an equal who is in charge of overseeing a project and nothing more.

Sure, as a resource I can be assigned tasks by him, but he can't talk down to me or insist that I work late - or anything really!

So to all you PMs out there - get of your high fliping horse!
    When I get a particularly pompous one I like to remind him or her that they are there partly to work for me so that I can do my job - so all those things that need setting up like access permissions etc that have to go through all the right channels, well I make sure my PM shares some of that tedium.

While I'm on the subject (got nothing against PMs per se but have just worked with a couple of awful ones when I was a permie) there are 2 other bugbears.

The first one is when, after a lengthy explanation of something by myself that requires action from my PM they turn round to me and say "could you put what you just told me in an email?". I got to a point where I just used to say no because it shows that they are either lazy and aren't willing to make the effort to understand or just plain stupid. Believe me, in the place I used to work, I supect it was the latter; it was one of those places where people were promoted out of harm's way!

The other thing I can't stand (and it's a very small thing but it bugs the hell out of me) is when a project manager adds the suffix "for me" to anything they request me to do. When this happens, I tend to go for the approach outlined in the 1st paragraph! At least I used to, as a contractor I just tend to take all that tulip on the chin these days. If they piss me off, I just like to discretely let them find out how much more money than them I am earning!

Comment

Have you thought about joining forces with Numpty?

Recalcitrant-Programmers-R-Us?

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
        after a lengthy explanation of something by myself that requires action from my PM they turn round to me and say "could you put what you just told me in an email?".
        Why didn't you send the email in the first place with note to say if further explanation is needed the PM could always ask you - would have been much more productive for both of you methinks.
        This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
          Why didn't you send the email in the first place with note to say if further explanation is needed the PM could always ask you - would have been much more productive for both of you methinks.
          Yes, it would have been more procutive if I'd just handled it all myself but We were working at the client site & all communication with the client had to be done via a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            Have you thought about joining forces with Numpty?

Recalcitrant-Programmers-R-Us?

No, why?

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
              Yes, it would have been more procutive if I'd just handled it all myself but We were working at the client site & all communication with the client had to be done via a PM.
              No I didn't mean handle it yerself I meant you could have just sent the email to the PM and be done with it.
              This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

On a development project I tend to see the PM as similar to the producer on a film. Make sure there's the required backing from the required people, make sure all the prerequisites and resources are in place, and generally let other people do their jobs.
                To push the comparison a bit, a lead developer would be like the director: he has to tell the producer what he needs, and has to keep the overall vision in mind while getting the best performances out of the actors/developers.
                So while the PM should respect that the developers are "talent" in a way that he isn't, he can & should of course get rid of them if they're threatening the project.

Comment

Shinano... I don't mean to sound harsh.... but wasn't it not you just a couple of years looking for a contract and taking permie job? If so, tell me please - was it better to be on the bench or in contract/permie_job with this funny PM situation?

Comment

I agree with thunderlizard but as developers you also have a responsibility to manage your PM (and don't scare them)
                    +50 Xeno Geek Points
                    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Working...
                    X