• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

David Cameron: burglars leave human rights at the door

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

David Cameron: burglars leave human rights at the door

"David Cameron has stoked the row over the prosecution of ‘have a go heroes’ by saying that burglars leave their human rights at the door when they break into a property.

The Conservative leader reiterated the Tory position on the prosecution of householders who attack intruders by saying that only those who use “grossly disproportionate force” should face the courts.

But he went further than that, by appearing to suggest that violence of any level against a burglar would be justified, and that that intruders “leave their human rights outside”."

His words are sure to fuel the row between the Conservatives and prosecutors, who insist that the current law, which allows householders to use “reasonable force,” is sufficient. (AtW's comment: fire prosecutors - their job is to uphold the law that should defend law abiding citizens)

Asked about plans by Chris Grayling, the shadow home secretary, to toughen the law to limit prosecutions to cases involving grossly disproportionate violence, Mr Cameron told the BBC’s Politics Show that he wanted fewer cases brought to court.

“The moment a burglar steps over your threshold and invades your property with all the threat that gives to you, your family and your livelihood, I think they leave their human rights outside,” he said.

More here.

--------

This seems reasonable. Now the next logical step is actually give the effective means of self defence to people in their own (or rented) houses.

The fact that you want a gun so badly gives me all the more reason to think that you shouldn't be allowed one.

HTH
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

This seems reasonable. Now the next logical step is actually give the effective means of self defence to people in their own (or rented) houses.
      Yes, it's definitely sensible to put guns in the hands of the population. I can't see any reason not to do that...
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Yup.

Keeping an AK47 handy under the bed.

Sounds like a real vote winner.
        http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20071...ed-rifle-rack/
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

This sounds like a move that might empower the law-abiding citizens of the UK. That'll never catch on shirley?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
            The fact that you want a gun so badly gives me all the more reason to think that you shouldn't be allowed one.
            I am ok without a firearm - over 10 yeas now and counting, but this topic seems to get some people wound up pretty well on here, so I might as well continue!
            Last edited by AtW; 1 February 2010, 12:26.

Comment

I am ok with a firearm
              Paraphrasing Michael Ryan and Thomas Hamilton there I reckon.
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Keeping an AK47 handy under the bed.
                For the record - I do NOT want AK47.

It's not a good gun (well, maybe in 1947 it was). Assault rifles are also inappropriate for urban self-defence.

Comment

It's not a good gun (well, maybe in 1947 it was).
                  Tell you what, how about we compromise?

We'll have a CUK whip-round and get you a Super Soaker.
                  ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

It's not a good gun (well, maybe in 1947 it was). Assault rifles are also inappropriate for urban self-defence.
                    You're talking out of your arse - still.

Comment

Working...
                    X