• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Men and moisturizers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Men and moisturizers

What happened to the rough and ready practical chap of yesteryear? The kind of fellow who would quickly shower, pull on some clothes that look (in the dark) like they might correspond to each other, grab a coffee and go? Now I read in the weekly commute thread about men moisturizing, putting on ‘eye spray’ whatever that is and spending 30 minutes grooming in front of the mirror.

It’s all very well and it doesn’t really affect me if other men like to spend feminine lengths of time looking into the mirror, but is there still a place in the world for the more rugged bloke? You see I’m the type who’s never owned a comb as my hair’s about 3mm long. I shave in the evening and if I have a bit of stubble in the morning then I don’t really care. Socks don’t have to match as I wear DMs that cover them and the only moisturizer my face needs is soapy water.

Do the ladies genuinely prefer metrosexual moisturizing must-get-a-botox big girls’ blouses? Or do they secretly hunker after the rugged, tough alpha male type?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

The latter

I hope

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      What happened to the rough and ready practical chap of yesteryear? The kind of fellow who would quickly shower, pull on some clothes that look (in the dark) like they might correspond to each other, grab a coffee and go? Now I read in the weekly commute thread about men moisturizing, putting on ‘eye spray’ whatever that is and spending 30 minutes grooming in front of the mirror.

It’s all very well and it doesn’t really affect me if other men like to spend feminine lengths of time looking into the mirror, but is there still a place in the world for the more rugged bloke? You see I’m the type who’s never owned a comb as my hair’s about 3mm long. I shave in the evening and if I have a bit of stubble in the morning then I don’t really care. Socks don’t have to match as I wear DMs that cover them and the only moisturizer my face needs is soapy water.

Do the ladies genuinely prefer metrosexual moisturizing must-get-a-botox big girls’ blouses? Or do they secretly hunker after the rugged, tough alpha male type?
      What's that mean?

I don't even comb my hair.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        What's that mean?

I don't even comb my hair.
        Sort of, 'match', whatever that is. All of my clothes and socks match in the dark.

Comment

Sort of, 'match', whatever that is. All of my clothes and socks match in the dark.
          Match in colour?

Comment

I think you've been reading too many sunday paper magazines. They'd have you believe men are exfoliating like blazes but it's all lies. This says the UK men's cosmetic market is worth £920m per year. Amongst 30m men, that's £30 a year each, which gets you 1 bottle of Head and Shoulders, 2 bottles of Lynx "Ninja" shower gel, and a can of Old Spice pit spray for Saturday night. We are not a nation of Ziggy Stardusts.

Comment

Match in colour?
              erm, I'll have a look. Hmm, no. One sock's blue, the other's dark grey. Is that acceptable?

Comment

erm, I'll have a look. Hmm, no. One sock's blue, the other's dark grey. Is that acceptable?
                Have you been dressing under florescent light?

Funny how women can happily apply all manner of concoctions to their faces and other parts though and yet the thought of rubbing moisturiser into my hands makes me cringe.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                  I think you've been reading too many sunday paper magazines. They'd have you believe men are exfoliating like blazes but it's all lies. This says the UK men's cosmetic market is worth £920m per year. Amongst 30m men, that's £30 a year each, which gets you 1 bottle of Head and Shoulders, 2 bottles of Lynx "Ninja" shower gel, and a can of Old Spice pit spray for Saturday night. We are not a nation of Ziggy Stardusts.
                  That can't be right - even if you don't do all that bollux, you must spend >£30 on shaving cream alone.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

the thought of rubbing moisturiser into my hands makes me cringe.
                    It might help if it wasn’t white and gloopy.

Comment

Working...
                    X