• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Constellation Program Axed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Constellation Program Axed

Link

Can't help but feel a little sad about this. As someone who grew up at the time of the original moon landings I've always been fascinated by space exploration & was quite excited about man going back to the moon and later on to Mars. Doubt I'll be seeing any of that happen in my lifetime now; thought perhaps the private sector or the Chinese will rise to the challenge.

Yep, deffo bad news for anyone interested in exploration. Obviously the yanks cant afford it.

Looks highly unlikely I'll see a man on Mars in my lifetime now. Even returning to the Moon may be a remote possibility. Just cannot see the Chinese doing this even with second hand russian space junk.

Unless they want to do a suicide mission!
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

If there was any serious likelihood of the Chinese being able to execute a Moon landing then the septics would never cancelled the program.

As for Mars, there is loads of work to be done before there is any contamination that would be the result of a manned landing. Maybe in a hundred years a landing may be appropriate.

Neither is going anywhere, at least, not very fast.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
        If there was any serious likelihood of the Chinese being able to execute a Moon landing then the septics would never cancelled the program.

As for Mars, there is loads of work to be done before there is any contamination that would be the result of a manned landing. Maybe in a hundred years a landing may be appropriate.

Neither is going anywhere, at least, not very fast.
        Eh!? How do you work that 'contamination' bit out? Unmanned probes from Earth have already contaminated Mars. Any probes sent to Mars prior to the 90's didnt have that good a decontamination before being sent.

Comment

Weren't the russians supposed to be orbiting Jupiter in a manned spacecraft this year - the yanks having done it 9 years ago.

We need to get moving if we're gonna have teleportation and warp drive by the 22nd century.

Comment

The problem is this: in the good old days of Aerospace there were lots of slide-rule wielding engineers, they'd take the engine from a captured air craft and stick it in another to see what happened and apart from the odd German with a dodgy past they were seriously on the ball chaps.

Now there are just so many onanists and instead of plans, designs and log tables on their desks they have boxes of Kleenex.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

That's bollocks - this program cost maybe 2% of the bank bailout and far less than banks will pay in bonuses this year alone.

Obama is making a mistake - Kennedy would have never done this: you need something to inspire.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                That's bollocks - this program cost maybe 2% of the bank bailout and far less than banks will pay in bonuses this year alone.

Obama is making a mistake - Kennedy would have never done this: you need something to inspire.

My thoughts exactly!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Yes but that 2 per cent could feed so many needy bankers - its a price well worth paying in my view.

We dont have to go to the Moon - you can see it on most nights from the comfort of your bedroom window.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    Yeah.

Tell me about it.

I'm still stuck on fraggle rock.
                    FTFY!

Comment

Working...
                    X