• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The whole 'not giving a stuff' thing...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The whole 'not giving a stuff' thing...

After reading the 'What's a senior position?' and the 'PM/Boss' threads... I'd like to hear the congregation's thoughts on the following:

I've been called into a long meeting with the MD.
    The Programme Architect, Programme Manager, Sponsor, Lead BA and Project Manager will also be there. The MD wants to know who he's got delivering his project, and we've been asked to prepare a short bio illustrating our outstanding contributions to clientcos great and good.

I thrice questioned the wisdom of the Programme Manager in wanting me in this meeting, 'are you sure you need me in on this?' etc. I'm starting to feel nervous about completely cocking up/tripping over my own words or just clamming up. My role is unofficially UX lead, as I'm 'on loan' from another part of the business... but there can't be any buck-passing in this meeting - the sponsor wants us to present a cohesive team spirit. There's no way I can answer any business Qs, but am quite happy to talk around my core SME.

Thing is - and those of you who know me will know this - I'm still very much a kid in comparison to these guys... In terms of gravitas, brevity and the like. They're all at least 10 years my senior. That hasn't been a problem on the project as we all work well together... but facing off the M-bleedin-D? I've only been in this sector for 5 years, and most of it working on sector-agnostic principles.

It's a hard thing to admit to on the open forum, but I'm ever so slightly intimidated, and would appreciate the benefit of coping strategies & your experience in similar situations.

I await the flaming with (hopefully) some comforting and helpful insight.
    Last edited by realityhack; 1 February 2010, 20:35. Reason: sector, not industry

They want you there because they don't have a clue about the technical stuff, they're all politicians you see.

Enjoy it, it's your time to shine.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
      it's your time to shine.
      I fear the shine might be the sheen... of sweat upon my brow. Any tips to stay calm and rock-steady?

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
        I fear the shine might be the sheen... of sweat upon my brow. Any tips to stay calm and rock-steady?
        Dr Bach's Rescue remedy.
        Or if the meeting is in the PM, have a pint in your lunch hour.
        Or take a leaf out of Dicky's book and have a pot noodle before you go in.

HTH
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Think about this, the difference between you, the MD and the PM is that you know what you are talking about.

Just focus on that.
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
            What could possibly go wrong? Figure out the worst case scenario of what you could face and then think about the likelihood of that happening. If that scares you make sure you know who you can blame. If it doesn't, then don.t sweat the meeting. Personally, I take the sasguru approach and don't get wound up by work much at all.

Comment

I'd like to help but I can't coz you care.
              You see, I don't.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                What could possibly go wrong? Figure out the worst case scenario of what you could face and then think about the likelihood of that happening. If that scares you make sure you know who you can blame.
                Ok...

Scenario: My mind goes completely blank with nerves and I stumble/gibber.
                Likelihood: Fair.
                Buck stops: With some momentum, squarely in my face.

Scenario: My bio looks hopelessly thin when compared to these heavyweights.
                Likelihood: Certain.
                Buck stops: Erm? With the business, for wanting me in the meeting/hiring me? Still doesn't make me feel any better about it.

Scenario: I break the political 'rules' that have been laid down ahead of the meeting and speak out of turn, unknowingly or naively. Or speak too technically.
                Likelihood: Well I'll try my best, but tulip happens.
                Buck stops: From above, at terminal velocity.

I had a word with a mate who's v senior in a similar sector - and he made me even more nervous. Seems this guy has a reputation that precedes him. Ivy League big board Septic who likes to direct, not lead, by all accounts.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                  What could possibly go wrong? Figure out the worst case scenario of what you could face and then think about the likelihood of that happening. If that scares you make sure you know who you can blame. If it doesn't, then don.t sweat the meeting. Personally, I take the sasguru approach and don't get wound up by work much at all.
                  That's where the Pot Noodle comes in.
                  You don't seem to have any problem walking in to a pub and meeting a bunch of strangers, so why worry about meeting another one?
                  You'll be fine.
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Don't try and second guess it - be yourself, don't bulltulip (unless you normally do). If the Ivy League septic is one of those aggressive shouty ones just let him get on with it - but don't agree to anything daft. Above all, act like you don't need the gig - and if you think something isn't right, say so, but don't make it personal and try to suggest how to do it better.

Comment

Working...
                    X