• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BREAKING NEWS; clever people don't pay too much tax!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BREAKING NEWS; clever people don't pay too much tax!

WTF did Brownsnot expect? Charge the smartest people in society 50% tax and they find ways of avoiding it. Same here in Holland; the top rate of tax is 52%, but almost nobody pays it; those who do only pay it for the sake of getting the 52% tax relief on mortgage interest and pension premiums and the rest avoid it by either;
    - working less hours
    - paying themselves dividends (sometimes in a low corporation tax country)
    - or artificially bumping up business costs to avoid making too much profit (staying in the Amstel hotel for the last few weeks of the year if it looks like the business might be too profitable)

Close down those last two options and I’ll either work less or f**k off somewhere else.

When will politicians and their voters understand that people are simply not prepared to pay 50% tax, with the possible exception of Swedes who get it all back in subsidized houses, lots of paid holidays and cheap volvos?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle7011728.ece
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

But the Tax budren has to be increased to fund our stuggling banking class and to procure the latest defence spending - the latest battleships will send a clear signal to Bin Laden to rethink his invasion plans.

Comment

ouch......

'From April this year, the change means that any workers earning more than £150,000 a year will be subject to a 50 per cent top level of income tax. They will also lose their personal allowance once pay hits £100,000. This means that workers earning from about £100,000 to £125,000 will pay an effective tax rate of 60 per cent.

'

* from the article in Mich's link

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
        But the Tax budren has to be increased to fund our stuggling banking class and to procure the latest defence spending - the latest battleships will send a clear signal to Bin Laden to rethink his invasion plans.
        Set it all at 35% then (inc NI). Make sure that if you earn under £20k, you don't pay any income tax.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
          ...the latest battleships will send a clear signal to Bin Laden to rethink his invasion plans.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
            ouch......

'From April this year, the change means that any workers earning more than £150,000 a year will be subject to a 50 per cent top level of income tax. They will also lose their personal allowance once pay hits £100,000. This means that workers earning from about £100,000 to £125,000 will pay an effective tax rate of 60 per cent.

'

* from the article in Mich's link

Milan.
            I expect a lot of directors will pay themselves £149,999.99

Comment

I found Andy W in the comments:

:
              Andy W
              I too am an expat and I agree wholeheartedly with every word you Write, but I See no saviour for our Country on Uhr horizon.
              February 2, 2010 9:28 AM GMT
              RECOMMEND? (3)
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                I found Andy W in the comments:
                What Andyw actually wrote:

I am a british expat and left the UK some 13 years ago to set up a design company overseas.. Since I moved away I have seen the state of the UK deteriorate at an alarming rate in many ways..

Would I ever move back.. I doubt it unless there are some very serious changes

What I have a problem with is being stung for upto 60% tax on my income for putting in upto 16 hour days 6 days a week, 110% effort in dealing with somewhat difficult an uneducated markets to make this money

Only to see the hard earned tax spent on a misguided immigration and benefits system, massive handouts to third world countries while OAP's die from lack of affordable heating in their homes. I shall put what I would have paid in extortionate UK tax into ensuring my parents can live as pensioners without worry for the rest of their lives

The wasted money spent on Illegal and misguided wars in the middle east, that have only caused the UK to spend billions trying to protect us from problems we would never have had if we had not been involved

The wasted money spent on Quangos and irrelevant government bodies to make life and business more difficult and less productive for UK businesses

The blatant theft of questionable expenses by members of the government who answer to noone, and shall most likely avoid any punishment for their crimes

Genuine claims for social housing denied to ethnic british citizens in favor of third world immigrants (sorry i mean imported labour voters)

The total and utter submission to minority groups and an obsession of being PC to avoid upsetting anyone other than native Brits

All of the above stops me from venturing to UK shores again which is a loss for the UK as my business could quite happily be situated in the UK, employ upto 10 people locally, would derive all its income from non UK business, therefore bringing in reasonable income to UK shores.. and employ skilled UK designers, who in turn would pay the lower rates of tax and go on to spend in the economy etc
                February 2, 2010 8:46 AM GMT on community.timesonline.co.uk Recommended (60)
                And I think he is right.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                  What Andyw actually wrote:

And I think he is right.
                  I agree with a lot of that, but I have no problem with immigrants from any part of the world, if they want to work and look after themselves. There’s a guy in my team from Zimbabwe who fled as Mugabe lay waste to the country; he worked in Britain as a contractor for several years and now works in Holland. He is not a burden to the state and doesn’t live in a council house. Good guy; we need more like him and less inbred chavs.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    There’s a guy in my team from Zimbabwe who fled as Mugabe lay waste to the country; he worked in Britain as a contractor for several years and now works in Holland. He is not a burden to the state and doesn’t live in a council house. Good guy; we need more like him and less inbred chavs.
                    So what you are saying is that you look more favourably on an immigrant who shares your values than on a fellow countryman who does not ?

Maybe the days of Nationalism are over, Mitch is heralding the dawn of a new '-ism'. Hows about calling it Valuesism.

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X