• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone a member of a David Lloyd gym?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone a member of a David Lloyd gym?

Thinking of joining one, just wondered if anyone is/was a member. All opinions welcome
    ǝןqqıʍ

They vary considerably from site to site - make sure that the one you are looking at has everything that you want.

For example, my brother moved from Bristol (which had a good DL) to Reading (which did not) - no point in changing the membership to somewhere that had such limited equipment.

I used to go to the DL in Reading regularly - they were the nearest bar to work.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Was a member years ago.

Just check how long it takes you to get out of membership and demand to be left for a few minutes to read the small print when you sign up. If they don't have it don't sign up. It took me and other people I know years later 3 months to leave. However that's after we had all been members for a few years.

I liked the gyms, the opening times and the facilities even though they were one of the more expensive gyms in my area but I started doing real sport so it became a waste of money. The only time I used a gym since is when I've been injured but then I had to use Cannons as they have a month leaving period and no tied contract.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I'm a member at Hampton.

It used to be an Amida branded club, but DL took it over some time ago. They rebranded this year.

It's good. Tennis courts are free, and it has a 25M pool and a nice spa.

They've just replaced their gym equipment with newer, but lower grade machines. They are still ok and have good entertainment options.

Costs £1000 a year, which gets us access to any DL in the country which is handy as the Raynes Park one has indoor courts for the winter, but which also has court fees (go figure).

Pool at Raynes Park is crap, but there is also an outdoor one IIRC.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
          Thinking of joining one, just wondered if anyone is/was a member. All opinions welcome
          Look, we both know what's going to happen here!

So why don't you just send me the 50 quid a month and I'll email you each week telling you it's ok at sit at home in your pants.

Less guilt for you, more money for me.

Simples.

Comment

I know several people who joined gyms then hardly used them. I do sports instead. More fun.

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
              Wilmslooooooooow!

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post

So why don't you just send me the 50 quid a month and I'll email you each week telling you it's ok at sit at home in your pants.

Simples.

I go to my local DL 2-3 times a week and really like it. Pool, Gym, Spa, all good, and although it is expensive, it does make sure you don't have to share with any crusty chavs.

Oh, and yes, 3 months notice. I used to mind this, but it doesn't really bother me now. After all, its still less than a day's billing.
                "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  They vary considerably from site to site - make sure that the one you are looking at has everything that you want.

For example, my brother moved from Bristol (which had a good DL) to Reading (which did not) - no point in changing the membership to somewhere that had such limited equipment.

I used to go to the DL in Reading regularly - they were the nearest bar to work.
                  I'm going to have a look on Saturday, didn't realise there was a bar, I'll make sure it forms part of the inspection

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Was a member years ago.

Just check how long it takes you to get out of membership and demand to be left for a few minutes to read the small print when you sign up. If they don't have it don't sign up. It took me and other people I know years later 3 months to leave. However that's after we had all been members for a few years.

I liked the gyms, the opening times and the facilities even though they were one of the more expensive gyms in my area but I started doing real sport so it became a waste of money. The only time I used a gym since is when I've been injured but then I had to use Cannons as they have a month leaving period and no tied contract.
                  Been checking out their website - there's a 3 month membership option with a month's notice after that. Just have to find out how badly they're going to try and sting me with a joining fee

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                  I'm a member at Hampton.

It used to be an Amida branded club, but DL took it over some time ago. They rebranded this year.

It's good. Tennis courts are free, and it has a 25M pool and a nice spa.

They've just replaced their gym equipment with newer, but lower grade machines. They are still ok and have good entertainment options.

Costs £1000 a year, which gets us access to any DL in the country which is handy as the Raynes Park one has indoor courts for the winter, but which also has court fees (go figure).

Pool at Raynes Park is crap, but there is also an outdoor one IIRC.
                  Outdoor pool sounds good for summer, I'll take a look.

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post

Simples.
                  I can feel a plan B coming on...

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                  I know several people who joined gyms then hardly used them. I do sports instead. More fun.
                  I possess about as much sporting ability as a dead person. I'd find it even more demotivating to be the continual 12th man!

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Wilmslooooooooow!
                  I'll take you seriously when you depart the 1980's and lose the moustache

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post

I go to my local DL 2-3 times a week and really like it. Pool, Gym, Spa, all good, and although it is expensive, it does make sure you don't have to share with any crusty chavs.

Oh, and yes, 3 months notice. I used to mind this, but it doesn't really bother me now. After all, its still less than a day's billing.
                  This is what appeals, I don't want to be sharing a gym with any chav scum.
                  ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

<I do only go in the early morning, but> I usually get a lane to myself for 1/2 hour, and a few times have had the whole pool to myself.
                    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                    X