• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mobile Phone Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile Phone Question

We recently upgraded my sons mobile. We took him down to the 3 shop so that he could feel the handsets and find one that is suitable. Given that he's blind his requirements are pretty specific. He obviously cannot have a touch screen phone and needs one which is compatible with his talks screen reading software. I told the guy this and he showed us a Nokia 6700. I asked about the operating system and he said it's the same as in his current N95. That was about 3 weeks ago. Last weekend we tried to load talks onto his new phone only to discover that this phone uses Symbian s40 and not s60 or s80 as required by his sw. I've not contacted 3 yet, but any suggestions how I should proceed with this. Obvioulsy they will not want to take this phone back but without talks it's useless to him.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    Obvioulsy they will not want to take this phone back but without talks it's useless to him.

Why not?

Turn up and make a fuss. Take your son with you.

Comment

You were incorrectly advised by the sales assistant and purchased the phone based upon that false information. Therefore you want to exchange the phone to a more suitable product that meets your needs given that you bought it with the main requirement that it works with the talk software so that your son can use it.

Pretty straightforward I'd say, they messed up with their in shop advice, go back to the shop to the same assistant and demand an exchange.
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

We recently upgraded my sons mobile. We took him down to the 3 shop so that he could feel the handsets and find one that is suitable. Given that he's blind his requirements are pretty specific. He obviously cannot have a touch screen phone and needs one which is compatible with his talks screen reading software. I told the guy this and he showed us a Nokia 6700. I asked about the operating system and he said it's the same as in his current N95. That was about 3 weeks ago. Last weekend we tried to load talks onto his new phone only to discover that this phone uses Symbian s40 and not s60 or s80 as required by his sw. I've not contacted 3 yet, but any suggestions how I should proceed with this. Obvioulsy they will not want to take this phone back but without talks it's useless to him.
        I get really annoyed about mobile phone manufactures not facilitating the blind and people with disabilities. It maybe worth contacting Peter White who is bind and a radio presenter http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4presenters/peter_white.shtml
        Peter White is a really good down to earth man. The more fuss about these types of problems the better things will get in the future.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          Not fit for purpose.

Simples.
          WHS.

If you hadn't asked the question, then that would be a different matter. However, since you made the vendor aware of the exact requirements, took their advice, and it is not fit for purpose, then you should be fine.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

List of compatible phones.

HTH

Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Cheers - sent an email to their disability support email address - will see what they say. My feeling was as stated on here. I asked the question and took the answer on face value.
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Ermm...first stop for this sort of thing should nearly always be who you bought it from. You may have had the phone exchanged and be out of there by now. Any reason why you don't want to go back to the shop?

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
                  Ermm...first stop for this sort of thing should nearly always be who you bought it from. You may have had the phone exchanged and be out of there by now. Any reason why you don't want to go back to the shop?
                  Because I'm in Geneva Monday to Friday and we only found out on Sunday afternoon

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
                    Any reason why you don't want to go back to the shop?
                    Because I'm in Geneva Monday to Friday and we only found out on Sunday afternoon
                    hmm Tony has a fair point there
                    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                    X