• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coming to the UK soon

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coming to the UK soon

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8494849.stm

Greek Prime Minister George Papandreou has announced tough austerity measures aimed at cutting his country's soaring public debt.

In a televised address on Tuesday, Mr Papandreou urged the public and his political rivals to support his austerity programme.

"This is an effort to stop the country's course towards the cliff," he said.

"Our country is at the centre of a speculative attack. It is being treated as the weak link of the Eurozone.

"We must act in an imminent and efficient manner and it is for that reason that I called on the political parties to support this national effort," he added.

The prime minister said tough measures were needed in the face of such an "unprecedented crisis", including a 10% cut in wages and spending in the public sector, a higher retirement age and an increase in fuel prices.

He also pledged to go after tax evaders and said those who could afford to pay more would be forced to do so.

Thank god we've got Gordon!

The Greeks don't go in for mere tax avoidance (the BN66ers would be sneered at by most Greek grannies). Tax evasion in Greece is a more than a national sport - it's up there with religion.

Most of them don't pay tax - and are miffed at the idea that they should be expected to pay any tax, let alone a bit more...

However p the Greek Government doesn't help itself - Ever-changing Greek tax system a factor in crisis

Sound Familiar?

Greece's ever-changing tax system undermines compliance and revenue — and makes a major contribution to the government financial crisis that has shaken the entire European Union and undermined the euro currency.

"With regulations amended or overhauled practically every year for decades, businesses — and the average Greek taxpayer — don't know what to expect from the future, or even from the past.

You never know what tomorrow's dawn will bring, or what's in store for you for yesterday," said Giorgos Patas, who runs a health and beauty institute in the capital's northern suburbs. "Who says you can plan your budget? You do something rough and hope for the best."
    Last edited by cojak; 3 February 2010, 09:25.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

"The unstable tax environment is one of the disadvantages of attracting foreign capital and it's certainly a disincentive for locals, for investments," said Nikolaos Patelis, general secretary of Greece's Federation of Tax Preparers.

"I've been dealing with this for 26 years, and the same thing has been happening for the past 26 years. There's always something that will change," Patelis said. "And what's worse, regulations are passed with retroactive application."
      Actually that article is worth a whole cut and paste, but I don't want to turn into BrilloPad
      Last edited by cojak; 3 February 2010, 09:34.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

I'd say it's here now.

One day the tax payers will realise they're the only ones propping the country up.

At the bottom you have the 'born into benefits' who follow in their grandma's footsteps (not too difficult she's only 30) and haven't done a days work in their life.

At the top you have the hooray henrys born with a platinum spoon in their mouth who own most of the land and control most of the power.

Then you've the mugs in the middle. Pressured by the govermin into:

Going to University only to leave with 20k+ of debt;

To get a job paying an average of 20k/year, which will just about cover the food/heating/accommodation, and maybe two weeks holiday;

To buy a house that'll take you the rest of your working life to pay off, just so they can take it off you to fund your health care;

To pay a large chunk of your income into a pension of which there is no guarantee it'll be worth anything when you come to need it;

To have children so you are trapped into all the above through fear of their future.

Have a nice day at work.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
          I'd say it's here now.

One day the tax payers will realise they're the only ones propping the country up.

At the bottom you have the 'born into benefits' who follow in their grandma's footsteps (not too difficult she's only 30) and haven't done a days work in their life.

At the top you have the hooray henrys born with a platinum spoon in their mouth who own most of the land and control most of the power.

To get a job paying an average of 20k/year, which will just about cover the food/heating/accommodation, and maybe two weeks holiday;

To buy a house that'll take you the rest of your working life to pay off, just so they can take it off you to fund your health care;

To pay a large chunk of your income into a pension of which there is no guarantee it'll be worth anything when you come to need it;

To have children so you are trapped into all the above through fear of their future.

Have a nice day at work.
          Aww come on !!!

there must be some bad news as well

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
            I'd say it's here now.

Have a nice day at work.
            And yet having enough to eat, clean water, your homeland not devastated by war and a roof over your head puts you into the top 10% of the world's population.
            So quit whinging ya big nancy.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

...and don't forget Britain will be less devastated by Global Warming than Greece.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                ...and don't forget Britain will be less devastated by Global Warming than Greece.

Due to higher (therefore more effective) Carbon taxes?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  He also pledged to go after tax evaders and said those who could afford to pay more would be forced to do so.

Thank god we've got Gordon!
                  I really fear for those in the UK who have juicy lump sums just waiting for HM Govt to seize for the good of the nation.

After watching the Shadow Chancellor last night on the telly ( prize time pillock ) and listening to the Shadow Home Sec on radio this morning I'm starting to think Gordon and Alistair aint that bad. The Tories are a bag of tulip !!!

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                    I really fear for those in the UK who have juicy lump sums just waiting for HM Govt to seize for the good of the nation.

After watching the Shadow Chancellor last night on the telly ( prize time pillock ) and listening to the Shadow Home Sec on radio this morning I'm starting to think Gordon and Alistair aint that bad. The Tories are a bag of tulip !!!
                    Labour have a habit of pinching Tory proposals and making them sound like their own.

Which is why the Tories just say 'wibble' when asked about them.

It is annoying, though...

Comment

Working...
                    X