• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Have you got anything else going on.."

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When an agent asks this, usually when putting your CV to a company, what do you say?

"Yes, I have several intervies and offers already.."
    > "please tell me who with, who the recruiter is, who the agent is.."

"No, I REALLY need this job..!"
    > "ok you'll work for half the rate then"

No, I only started looking this morning, I really wanted a few weeks off

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by oversteer View Post
      When an agent asks this, usually when putting your CV to a company, what do you say?

"Yes, I have several intervies and offers already.."
      > "please tell me who with, who the recruiter is, who the agent is.."

"No, I REALLY need this job..!"
      > "ok you'll work for half the rate then"
      1) No.
      2) No.

I normally answer with a non-commital, "I've got a few irons in the fire"
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

"I've only just started looking, and have spoken to a few promising sounding roles, but nothing concrete yet"

If they ask who, what, when, where etc. then I just tell them "I'm not going to tell you that, in the same way that I won't discuss our conversation with any other agents". Not too much they can say to that, I find.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          "I've only just started looking, and have spoken to a few promising sounding roles, but nothing concrete yet"

If they ask who, what, when, where etc. then I just tell them "I'm not going to tell you that, in the same way that I won't discuss our conversation with any other agents". Not too much they can say to that, I find.
          WTFS

Comment

I usually respond with "I'm taking a pretty casual approach to finding work at the moment, I've got 100 grand in the bank if times become tough".

That normally shuts them up. Even though it's completely untrue.

Comment

Well you could say:
              • I run fifteen girls offering the 'business' in various parts of town.
              • There is the kids playground drugs distribution that is coming along nicely.
              • I mentor a group of guys all called Mohamed on a 'spectacular' they are planning.
              • I've still got half of the jewelry to shift after last week's job.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by oversteer View Post
                They ask this so as not to send your CV to the same place, its very unprofessional when this happens and can lead to the client completely dropping you.

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Condor View Post
                  They ask this so as not to send your CV to the same place, its very unprofessional when this happens and can lead to the client completely dropping you.
                  Too right

I always give agents all details including company names and the names of interviewers just to make sure

Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Condor View Post
                    Yeah. Right.

Or you could be careful about that before you apply...
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X