• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I will never learn

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will never learn

ClientCo is in final development for release 9 of core system. This has changes I have spec'd up. One of the defects for this system has financial impact and is causing them lots of grief.

Testers could not reproduce. Developers did not understand, and demanded formal requirements. For a flipping defect.

Total arse covering operation went into full swing.

Yours truly investigated the issue, found the root cause, and documented a proposed solution for the developers to chew over.

Developers have said they still want formal requirements def.
    PM has demanded they implement my fix 'as is'
    Programme manager has kicked off wanting hourly updates of progress with SY01's fix.

Why oh why did I try and help.

D-Day is in an hour, then we know. Rarely does a bug fix work first time. Very high visibility this one.

I should have kept my head down. Silly bugger.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Yes, shooting the messenger is normal in IT.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post

setting up the messenger as the patsy
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
        Hence, use reliable messengering protocols whereby message will be resent with a new messenger until it succeeds...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Hence, use reliable messengering protocols whereby message will be resent with a new messenger until it succeeds...
          Translated

Keep spouting the same old bollocks until you believe it...

Threaded?

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

.. Yours truly investigated the issue, found the root cause, and documented a proposed solution for the developers to chew over. ..
            Does your job spec include proposing a solution? If not, and the solution doesn't cut it (or the developers have botched its implementation), perhaps you would have been better off not mentioning it.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Developers did not understand, and demanded formal requirements. For a flipping defect.
              Not unreasonable. It's not enough just to be told something's wrong. You need to know the definition of correct behaviour - otherwise you get into a cycle of guesswork.
              Now if the fix goes in but doesn't solve the problem, the developers will be the only ones with egg-free faces.

Comment

Just think of it this way...one day someone will spot your contributions and rather than making you a martyr they'll embrace you and your talents and give you much much wonga....

Until that day, you'll be mildly despised, stressed and thought to be too big for your boots.

I have boots that have been too big for so long I'm thinking of getting some bigger feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
                  one day someone will spot your contributions and rather than making you a martyr they'll
                  just terminate you as you're a bit of a trouble maker.

HTH

Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Yours truly investigated the issue, found the root cause, and documented a proposed solution for the developers to chew over.

Developers have said they still want formal requirements def.
                    .. and do you know how many times Ive developed a 'quick fix' on the basis of something a Project Manager has told me to do, then when its gone up t1ts up, the PM has turned around and gone ..... no I meant to do it this way, not that way ..... and of course because there was no documentation ....

The developers are well within their rights to cover his a..e in case you change the goalposts later on when it all goes wrong .... sorry, but its true.

Comment

Working...
                    X