• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will writing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will writing

Need to draw up a will.

Any recommendations for how to proceed - use a DIY approach or hire a solicitor?

My financial affairs are pretty straightforward so was thinking of a DIY approach but would like the comfort factor of a professional involved but imagine a solicitor would be expensive to hire.

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Need to draw up a will.

Any recommendations for how to proceed - use a DIY approach or hire a solicitor?

My financial affairs are pretty straightforward so was thinking of a DIY approach but would like the comfort factor of a professional involved but imagine a solicitor would be expensive to hire.
    Funny enough, I had the same question a few years ago. I had the added problem of getting my mum to do one as well.

DIY is definately the way to go, you can get the pack for a tenner from WHS or Tescos, and it takes a couple of hours to understand then do.

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

A lawyer is only about £200 an hour, so I'd go with a pro.

Comment

but imagine a solicitor would be expensive to hire.
        Not so - I got mine redone a 2-3 years ago, cost £200 ish IIRC, may have been less

Comment

A local solicitor should do it for you for under £100 all in including time to talk through it with you and make sure things are as simple as you think they are.

Will's are odd things. What seems straightforward at the time can be interpreted differently later on and getting the wording right is important. A solicitor can help you do this in a way that cannot be disputed later.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Need to draw up a will.

While you're at it, add a clause that the executor is to sign up to CUK and post to inform us you've popped off.

There's a serious point there - In theory, any of us could pop their clogs at any moment, and if no one in the forums they regularly used was aware then they'd just "drop off the radar" with nobody knowing why (or in some cases noticing).

That might be a Plan B for someone: a site where people could store their login details, encrypted with a public key, and with your private key an executor could alert the site to send out notifications as above.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

jeez what a morbid feel this site has today
              The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                That might be a Plan B for someone: a site where people could store their login details, encrypted with a public key, and with your private key an executor could alert the site to send out notifications as above.
                It's been done several times. There's even one that lets you preach at people from beyond the grave

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  While you're at it, add a clause that the executor is to sign up to CUK and post to inform us you've popped off.

There's a serious point there - In theory, any of us could pop their clogs at any moment, and if no one in the forums they regularly used was aware then they'd just "drop off the radar" with nobody knowing why (or in some cases noticing).

I'm sure Mrs Owlhoot will be overjoyed at letting bimbobabeswholoveit.com know that sugardaddy69 has popped his clogs.

Comment

I have some items sealed in a time casule that will be sent to SasGuru when I snuff it

<heh heh, I just hope he doesnt get suspicious, and he eats that frozen 'yoghurt'>

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X