• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Offshoring - The Moral & Economic Case

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offshoring - The Moral & Economic Case

Hi,

I'd like to begin a discussion about the future of the UK IT worker. I am worried about the encroachment of Indian nationals from 'offshore' companies in UK offices.

Definition of Terms: when I say 'UK Worker' I mean anyone of any nationality or ethnicity who is here to work in a private capacity. When I say 'Indian' I mean Indian Nationals sent by Indian offshoring companies not people of Indian ethnicity.

In the last few years 'offshoring' has cost thousands of UK workers their jobs. I have seen heavy redundancies (even pre-credit crunch) as skilled staff are replaced by cheaper 'offshore' labour.

I DO NOT take issue with India competing for offshore IT business. That is the completely fair operation of international capitalism. They have every right to draw work to India. This is not what this thread is about.

It is about Indian staff are body shopped into UK offices. Last year there were by some estimates 55000 'offshore' people onshore. Many of these roles (in my experience) are not suitable to be located in India. So that's c.55000 UK redundancies.

I do not believe this makes economic sense or is morally right.

Economically:
    1) Onshored Indian staff do not pay income tax in the UK
    2) Indian Companies do not pay corporate tax in the UK
    3) The Government has lost 55000 people's income tax
    4) The Government may well be supporting some of these people
    5) There is a knock on effect as the 55000 are no longer spending in the wider UK economy
    6) If UK staff are too expensive train more and allow supply to reduce wages. In addition this reduces the welfare bill.

Morally:
    1) The spirit of the law is that foreign companies which are contracted by UK businesses to provide a service or product can send some of their staff to do this. The spirit is not that they can replace UK workers on a like for like basis. I say like for like as mostly they are managed and mentored by UK managers. This law is being exploited & while it may not be a technical breach it isn't right.
    2) The government has a moral obligation to it's citizens or residents not those of another country.
    3) To simplify the moral case. If a Victorian Factory one day fired all its workers and replaced them with cheap non-UK labour would that be right?

Arguments For:
    There is only one. That UK industries remain competitive. Firstly is this actually accurate? Secondly do you feel this stacks up against the arguments against? Obviously for me it doesn't.

Conclusion:
    I have no problem with individuals coming here to work in a private capacity. But this is a structural assault on the domestic labour market the like of which hasn't been seen before & it is still in its early stages. I struggle to see any benefit to the UK people or government in this.

I'd be interested to hear other opinions both for and against.

This would never have happened under the Tories. Or would it?

Comment

Threaded - get your time machine fixed. This post looks like it escaped from c2003 or earlier.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by phil5476 View Post
        I have no problem with individuals coming here to work in a private capacity. But this is a structural assault on the domestic labour market the like of which hasn't been seen before & it is still in its early stages. I struggle to see any benefit to the UK people or government in this.

I'd be interested to hear other opinions both for and against.
        Actually it has been seen before: that was what 1960s immigration was about, a structural assault on the domestic labour market. It led to substantial support in some quarters for the words of one Mr Powell MP.

But it hasn't happened to the middle classes before AFAIK. Still, we are arguably not the middle classes now, with the possible exception of those of you who went to Public School.

Experience suggests that those who oppose it will be ignored, marginalised, and insulted. But not employed; it will not be reversed.
        Last edited by Tarquin Farquhar; 3 February 2010, 16:06.
        Step outside posh boy

Comment

Phil, do you like films about gladiators? Have you ever been in a Turkish prison? Did you ever fly a Tornado back from Rome with a bowl of spag bol balanced on your lap?

These are the key questions.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
            Actually it has been seen before: that was what 1960s immigration was about, a structural assault on the domestic labour market. .
            I thought 50s/60s immigration was about a labour shortage during a boom time for the economy?
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              This would never have happened under the Tories. Or would it?
              It most certainly wouldnt have happened under the Tories. Offshoring fair enough-onshoring no.
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                I thought 50s/60s immigration was about a labour shortage during a boom time for the economy?
                Isn't that exactly how this phase of immigration has been described?

That is what people are supposed to think. So those who protest are simply trying to run a closed shop to boost their pay rates at the cost of the productivity of the British economy.
                Last edited by Tarquin Farquhar; 3 February 2010, 16:09.
                Step outside posh boy

Comment

Fairly in both cases or not?
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Mostly by Gordon "No more Boom and Bust" Brown
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X