• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tesco Rant Parts 1 and 2

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tesco Rant Parts 1 and 2

Tesco Rant
    Part 1

Away from home and I wanted some food for the evening so that I could some work done in the hotel room, have a drink and nibble at the same time. Called in to Tesco and selected contractor quality French cheese, duck & orange pate some French bread and a small red wine.

Check-out busy but the self-service ones empty. Off I go to the self-service and … no bags. I looked around and then an assistant came over with a bundle of bags in her hand a screwed up the smallest possible bag and threw it on the stand. The bag obviously was not big enough for my shopping so of I go the Customer Services and ask for a proper sized bag. “No we are not allowed to issues bags, that's our policy". I tipped my basked upside-down on the counter and walked out.

If supermarkets had a policy of “no-bags” then I am OK with that, but I don’t liked being messed about. In Holland, they sell proper carry bags or you can put 5-10 cents into a machine and get a bag that way. That’s fine.

On a few other occasions in other branches of Tesco I have had the shopping piled up after being scanned and no bags supplied. In those incidences I stand with my arms folded looking at the shopping. “Oh, do you want a bag?” is usual reaction.

Rant about Tesco
    Part 2

I always ask and make sure that I have got a receipt and a bag. At one time I stopped of at a Tesco to buy some peanuts. I was hungry and opened the nuts as I walked through the door way. Once outside one of the managers chased after me shouted “have you paid for those Sir?” I replied yes, and showed him the receipt. He then said “Well you should have put them in a bag”.

WTF then do assistants especially at the supermarket kiosks; do not automatically issue receipts?

I am well fed up of supermarkets making huge profits, having monopolies and giving poor service. I would however praise Morrison’s, M&S and Waitrose.
    Last edited by Paddy; 4 February 2010, 09:10.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Adapt or die!

Comment

Were you in your pajamas? Tescos don't like that...
      Loopy Loo

Comment

Is this foreign tesco?

The ones in the UK are more than willing to sell you a bag for life - or give you crappy thin ones if you prefer. They also have a big basket where you can recycle old plastic bags.

And the security guard (as all security guards must) was trying to get the last word.

You should have ranted at him about the damage discarded plastic bags cause to wildlife & the environment generally, ideally making him feel personally responsible for little creatures suffocating - so much so that his brain melted and dribbled out of his ears....
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

The thing that makes me laugh about all this is people are taken in by the rubbish supermarkets spout about not wanting to give out so many bags because of the environment. Nonsense, they want to save money on bags!

Comment

Originally posted by scaramanga View Post
            The thing that makes me laugh about all this is people are taken in by the rubbish supermarkets spout about not wanting to give out so many bags because of the environment. Nonsense, they want to save money on bags!
            It's a win-win then isn't it?

Have you seen the decayed albatross body pictures? Killed from the inside by plastic they didn't have the sense to spit out?
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

why not, and I know this is a WAYYY out there crazy idea, but why not take your own bag that is of the size and durability you would prefer, place it scrunched up inside your coat (in the inside pocket you don't use) and then when you arrive in the above situation simply remove it from your coat and use it as required????? works for me, works for gf chef, far less stress

OR

don't goto multinational corporate machines and shop at small independent local shops who will usually give you a far better service and the food (although slightly more expensive) usually tastes better and you can feel allwarm and smug that you're helping keep traditional shops alive

HTH

Chef
              The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                why not, and I know this is a WAYYY out there crazy idea, but why not take your own bag that is of the size and durability you would prefer, place it scrunched up inside your coat (in the inside pocket you don't use) and then when you arrive in the above situation simply remove it from your coat and use it as required????? works for me, works for gf chef, far less stress

OR

don't goto multinational corporate machines and shop at small independent local shops who will usually give you a far better service and the food (although slightly more expensive) usually tastes better and you can feel allwarm and smug that you're helping keep traditional shops alive

HTH

Chef
                I will when the Government does with regards to IT procurement...

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                  It's a win-win then isn't it?

Have you seen the decayed albatross body pictures? Killed from the inside by plastic they didn't have the sense to spit out?
                  Good old Safeway used to supply paper bags. Paper bag production is good because it encourages the growing of trees for paper. Young trees also produce far more oxygen than old trees
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Why not stay somewhere with room service?
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X