• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Global Schooling

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Global Schooling

The standards are clearly slipping - too many computers in schools I say.

In my time we weren't even allowed calculators.

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    The standards are clearly slipping - too many computers in schools I say.

In my time we weren't even allowed calculators.
    Hadn't the abacus been invented yet then?
    Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

Originally posted by stingman123 View Post
      Hadn't the abacus been invented yet then?
      We had to divide and multiply (numbers) on paper
      Last edited by AtW; 4 February 2010, 14:36.

Comment

so did I

as I have taught my daughters too.

One of the biggest problems with the kids of today is they have no number bonds - because all they ever do is punch numbers into a calculator/computer and get an answer

with no idea of how the answer is worked out.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          so did I

as I have taught my daughters too.

One of the biggest problems with the kids of today is they have no number bonds - because all they ever do is punch numbers into a calculator/computer and get an answer

with no idea of how the answer is worked out.
          I did not have weekly allowance also - there was no such thing in Soviet state

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            We had to divide and multiply (numbers) on paper
            You had paper in the Soviet Union?

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=7040,1553789
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Did anyone here use a slide rule in earnest? I remember being taught to use log tables at school, although I just caught the end of that as calculators were available, but not able to be used in exams. Although come t think of it, by the time exams did come up, calculators were allowed. Or maybe I'm mixing them not being allowed at 'O'' level and being allowed at 'A' level.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                Did anyone here use a slide rule in earnest? I remember being taught to use log tables at school, although I just caught the end of that as calculators were available, but not able to be used in exams. Although come t think of it, by the time exams did come up, calculators were allowed. Or maybe I'm mixing them not being allowed at 'O'' level and being allowed at 'A' level.
                You're making this up aren't you - you never went to school.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  I remember being taught to use a calculator instead of tables to obtain the value of the logarithm. Which in retrospect seems a rather long winded way of going about it.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I was surprised (I was going to go with 'shocked' but that implies caring a bit more than I do) to find that today's curriculum doesn't cover base numbers. So your GCSE maths passer hasn't a clue about binary or hex.

Comment

Working...
                    X