• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What a bunch of bankers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a bunch of bankers

<rant>
    Grrrrr. Decided to sort out my finances. Had a cash ISA with First Direct that was paying a princely 0.2% APR interest, so decided to move it to Santander who were offering a whopping 3%. Filled in the forms, got sent my Santander cashpoint card (who gives a cashpoint card with an ISA?) and login details. Got closing statement from First Direct, with 27-Jan, transfer all k2p2’s hard-earned dosh to Abbey shown as final entry. Checked my Santander account – zilch. Phoned several times and got fobbed off. Today thought I’d try First Direct to check they really had transferred the money. “Yes”, the man assured me, “we posted the cheque on the 28th.” Posted the cheque???? Since when have banks posted cheques to each other to transfer money? Next they’ll be telling me they keep it in a shoebox out the back. Rang Santander (again) who claim not to have received the cheque, but need to wait two weeks before another can be issued. Nice to know my nest-egg is sitting in a Royal Mail bag somewhere. And who, I wonder, is enjoying the interest on my savings in the meantime? I’m gobsmacked. A cheque FFS! Which century are we in?
    </rant>

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    <rant>
    Grrrrr. Decided to sort out my finances. Had a cash ISA with First Direct that was paying a princely 0.2% APR interest, so decided to move it to Santander who were offering a whopping 3%. Filled in the forms, got sent my Santander cashpoint card (who gives a cashpoint card with an ISA?) and login details. Got closing statement from First Direct, with 27-Jan, transfer all k2p2’s hard-earned dosh to Abbey shown as final entry. Checked my Santander account – zilch. Phoned several times and got fobbed off. Today thought I’d try First Direct to check they really had transferred the money. “Yes”, the man assured me, “we posted the cheque on the 28th.” Posted the cheque???? Since when have banks posted cheques to each other to transfer money? Next they’ll be telling me they keep it in a shoebox out the back. Rang Santander (again) who claim not to have received the cheque, but need to wait two weeks before another can be issued. Nice to know my nest-egg is sitting in a Royal Mail bag somewhere. And who, I wonder, is enjoying the interest on my savings in the meantime? I’m gobsmacked. A cheque FFS! Which century are we in?
    </rant>
    Hang on, if they posted a cheque, and the money has gone from the account, then someone has cashed it surely? It can't be sitting in a mail bag.
    Last edited by Ruprect; 4 February 2010, 15:41. Reason: you > they
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

So basically "the cheque is in the post".

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
        Hang on, if they posted a cheque, and the money has gone from the account, then someone has cashed it surely? It can't be sitting in a mail bag.
        No - they've closed the account, but assure me the cheque's not been cashed. I presume it's a pre-cleared cheque. Unbelievable!

Comment

It annoys me that the Banking system is just allowed to stay so antiquated .......... and all under the guise of 'security'.

I asked my bank the other day if there were any direct deposits due to come out the next day. They had no idea ........... I mean WTF???

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            So basically "the cheque is in the post".

I wondered where Jack Burton was these days.
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by NeverBeenNorthOfTheM25 View Post
              It annoys me that the Banking system is just allowed to stay so antiquated .......... and all under the guise of 'security'.

I asked my bank the other day if there were any direct deposits due to come out the next day. They had no idea ........... I mean WTF???
              What's a direct deposit? And why would a deposit come out of your account?
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

<rant>
                And it seems that, 4 years later, things haven't changed much.

Decided to transfer some dosh from my Santander cash ISA to HL Stocks and Shares ISA.

Filled out the form and sent to HL.

Today noticed that the money has gone from the Santander ISA - twice!!!

Phoned HL as they are dealing with the transfer, and they tell me they're still waiting for the cheque to arrive

When it does, assuming there are two of them, then they'll cancel one. In the meantime my money is once again in a large black hole. No idea what happens if they only get one cheque.

I'll put money on the cock up being Santander's end, and at least two more phone calls to get it sorted...

</rant>

Comment

I was just about to ask how you got 3% from Santander until I noticed this was from 2010

I just signed up for the princely rate of 2.3%, and I only get the extra .3% because I'm a 1-2-3 customer. Fixed for 2 years, AND you have to put in any 2014/15 contributions by the end of May. Which isn't ideal... maybe I'll take out one of those credit card deals to fill up the ISA and then pay it off in a month or two.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

it is just that they want the money to be sat in their account and not in yours

so they can make money on it

just think how much dosh you can earn just sitting on millions for a few days

Comment

Working...
                    X