• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie job offer: question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permie job offer: question

Is there a polite way of concluding the negotiations for a decent salary package where the company is unable to offer enough to attract their favoured candidate (me) without them thinking 'F*** him he's a greedy b****** I hope we don't come across him again!'?

The company will just not go above a certain figure I think simply because they feel there is a recession on they should be able to get someone 'cheap'.

The industry I operate in is a small one, by leaving a bad feeling about this word could get around to other players in the industry which could affect possible future gigs.
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

I think the best way is to thank them for their time but say its not worth the risk of moving for that package. Ask them to keep in touch and say you will be keeping in touch.

How much more are you asking for than they will do? 25%?

Would you be as considered if it was a contract you were applying for?

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
      I think the best way is to thank them for their time but say its not worth the risk of moving for that package. Ask them to keep in touch and say you will be keeping in touch.

How much more are you asking for than they will do? 25%?

Would you be as considered if it was a contract you were applying for?
      Thanks for posting, this is pretty much what I will do if it comes to it. Total package is around 10% off what I would take to go permie, otherwise I might as well stay contracting. I'm not willing to go permie whilst they think they can get people cheap only to get 2% pay rises for the next 5 years.

Doing a contract is out of the question on this one I think, I had told them I would prefer a permie job to a contract in order to secure the job offer, I don't want them to think I was after a contract all along.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
        Thanks for posting, this is pretty much what I will do if it comes to it. Total package is around 10% off what I would take to go permie, otherwise I might as well stay contracting. I'm not willing to go permie whilst they think they can get people cheap only to get 2% pay rises for the next 5 years.

Doing a contract is out of the question on this one I think, I had told them I would prefer a permie job to a contract in order to secure the job offer, I don't want them to think I was after a contract all along.

Cheers
        Tilt!!

but anyway.... 10% worth a punt at negotiation.... Shirley!

Comment

Would you be tied in to the permie employer though? If you obtained a contract at a better rate than the permie package, then give notice and walk. It all depends how much you need the income at the moment and if you see this as a safe port during the recession.

Comment

just tell them your circumstances have changed and your not looking at
            permie jobs now, make sometihing up like "I'm starting a new business
            on the side", so in a years time you could go back and say well it didn't work
            out that new business so I'm looking at permie jobs again. simples!

Comment

Is there a polite way of concluding the negotiations for a decent salary package where the company is unable to offer enough to attract their favoured candidate (me) without them thinking 'F*** him he's a greedy b****** I hope we don't come across him again!'?

The company will just not go above a certain figure I think simply because they feel there is a recession on they should be able to get someone 'cheap'.

The industry I operate in is a small one, by leaving a bad feeling about this word could get around to other players in the industry which could affect possible future gigs.
              Rule of thumb 10% otherwise FIFO
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
                Tilt!!

but anyway.... 10% worth a punt at negotiation.... Shirley!
                The 10% is where it has got to after 2 days of negotiation....

Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
                Would you be tied in to the permie employer though? If you obtained a contract at a better rate than the permie package, then give notice and walk. It all depends how much you need the income at the moment and if you see this as a safe port during the recession.
                Hmmm thing is my industry is small, word gets around, even if I don't take this offer I am likely to come across these people again in other jobs or contracts.

Comment

Hmmm thing is my industry is small, word gets around, even if I don't take this offer I am likely to come across these people again in other jobs or contracts.
                  Obviously its your market and your "reputation" and if you have exhausted your wriggle room then it should be a simple calculation.....

Is the cost to your reputation worth the 10%?

ie +10% to get a rep as "awkward"
                  or Walk away to get a rep as "...... well that could be a lot worse if you could be portrayed as having agreed and then letting them down......."

Good luck with the calculation.......

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    Rule of thumb 10% otherwise FIFO
                    WOT?

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
                    Obviously its your market and your "reputation" and if you have exhausted your wriggle room then it should be a simple calculation.....

Is the cost to your reputation worth the 10%?

ie +10% to get a rep as "awkward"
                    or Walk away to get a rep as "...... well that could be a lot worse if you could be portrayed as having agreed and then letting them down......."

Good luck with the calculation.......
                    Well I'm better off on my crummy reduced daily rate than taking the offer made to me for a permie post so, ho hum - lost it, but I think reputation on both sides are intact - other interviews are on their way through other opportunities.

If I had been on the bench I guess my perspective would have been different.

Comment

Working...
                    X