• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business Analysis

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business Analysis

Does anybody have any good starting places to read up on this topic - I might have 'blagged' a role!
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

There's bound to be a Dummies guide out there.

Thats how half of the posters on this board blag positions!
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_analysis

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
        Does anybody have any good starting places to read up on this topic - I might have 'blagged' a role!
        In IT, think of it as an Analyst Programmer but without any programming....
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Tony, a pen, some paper and endless patience as you listen to end users whine about their system "issues" is all you need.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            oh and somebody who can string a sentence together and talk to someone in the business without making them look at you in a 'Whatcha you talking about Willis?' face!
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
              I can do that....I'm a crap programmer!
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                oh and somebody who can string a sentence together and talk to someone in the business without making them look at you in a 'Whatcha you talking about Willis?' face!
                Yes, you'll need a whole new dictionary of words with less than 3 syllables, users can be a little "slow" to understand anything technical so don't bother.

Just describe everything in terms of outcomes for the business, they don't give a tulip that you're speccing a change to boost the database performance by 30% - they just need to know they get to finish work 20 minutes earlier.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  You'll need to learn to use buzzword bingo terms in a non-sarcastic manner whilst keeping a straight face.

Comment

Oh my god!! I despise this term. It must be the most overly used title in the IT industry? Every man and dog seems to be a Business Analyst. From what I see it covers everything from the secretary to the guys in the Ferrari that re-designs you entire corporate business model.

Does my nut right in.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X