• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Successfully setting up your own Consultancy/Software House/Agency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Successfully setting up your own Consultancy/Software House/Agency

Who on here has made that further move from individual contributor(contractor) into a Consultancy/Software House or Recon Agency.

Alternatively you may be pitching in with colleagues as a Solution provider.

Just interested, who has made that additional jump from one man band to real employer?

Do we have anyone on here?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Who on here has made that further move from individual contributor(contractor) into a Consultancy/Software House or Recon Agency.

Just interested, who has made that additional jump from one man band to real employer?

I've done it the other way round
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I have taken the plunge. 1.5 years ago. Now I am about to go bankrupt and securing contract is nightmare. Good luck.

Comment

How many contractors on your books Dodgy? Always been interested on how much cash you need to be a one man band Recon.

I assume 8-12 weeks per contractor?

Comment

Stick to tat shops MF.

Comment

If you are getting all these job offers and interviews, why bother with such trivia?
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
              If you are getting all these job offers and interviews, why bother with such trivia?
              He's always been like this: ex-Retail analyst apparently, with delusions of being able to run his own business...

Comment

I know several groups of people who have. In every case but one the end result was bankrupcy.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                  Well you want to look at other opporunities don't you? The offer has come up a few times from other peers that we should look to set up a consultancy/software house.

When you reach a certain point in your career these opportunities will present themselves. I've been running development teams in the US and Bangalore. Arranged for an outsourcing contract and used the resulting teams to deliver same major ROI projects.

Now for the meantime, I am continuing on my career drive towards a directors role. To cover that I have applied for technical roles in case my chosen route doesnt play out in the short term. The logical next step is to look at using time, cash reserves and contacts in either a consultancy setup or Recon.

This is how grownups look at the world.

Comment

How many contractors on your books Dodgy? Always been interested on how much cash you need to be a one man band Recon.

I assume 8-12 weeks per contractor?
                    We have about 150 contractors out there working.

Things you should cost for are

1. Most importantly - what you need to earn day to day
                    2. Telephone
                    3. PC
                    4. Business development (should be you)
                    5. Cash flow- i.e paying your contractors. Be very careful about who you deal with. Big companies are secure but they can take ages to pay and you will need to unravel their payment processes if they prove to be slow.

You can work from home so basically the cost of entry is very low. Do not be tempted to employ a salesman until you have done it yourself and have developed enough business to make hiring one a necessity born of growth.
                    If you do the business development yourself then you will be fully prepared on how and who to hire and how to manage them.

This sort of business, unless you have backing and proper management, will HAVE to be led from the front by you.
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                    X