• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Caprica

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caprica

I notice no one has commented that Caprica started on Sky 1 on Tuesday evening. We quite enjoyed this week's episodes. Anyone else watching?

Originally posted by OrangeHopper View Post
    I notice no one has commented that Caprica started on Sky 1 on Tuesday evening. We quite enjoyed this week's episodes. Anyone else watching?
    I've downloaded it but haven't got round to watching it yet.

How does it compare to BSG?
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Wrong person to ask. I'm unable to critique shows other than to say I enjoyed it or otherwise. Not very intellectual me. If the show leaves me feeling I want more then it is good. Things like The Wire and In Treatment.

The story has two main components: the genesis of the cylons and the background to why they were subsequently obsessed with the idea of there being only the one god. I thought it was quite believable.
      Last edited by OrangeHopper; 6 February 2010, 12:16.

Comment

As someone who enjoyed the original BSG as a kid I haven't bothered with the new version.

Watched a couple of episodes, but just couldn't accept them making Starbuck female (who behaves like a bloke ) after the original was played so brilliantly by Face, before he joined the A-team.

From what I've seen it looks like they've ditched most of the action and gone down the 'you can't trust anyone' route so prevalent in modern US drama.

Am I really missing much or is the original still better?
        Last edited by PAH; 6 February 2010, 12:17.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

I watched the first one, not watched the second one yet. I thought it was quite good; it has that mesmerising compelling style that BSG often did so well, and you certainly can't accuse them of making it on the cheap.

TBH as much as I loved BSG, I got a bit bored of the whole origin of the Cylons and humans and God story, and stopped caring by the end. So I hope Caprica doesn't go too much the same way.

BTW if you're hung up on Starbuck being a girl, you're missing the point. The new BSG was a very very different series. It's a remake in name and premise only, and you shouldn't watch expecting more of the same.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I've just downloaded ep3.

I must say that I'm struggling with it.
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeHopper View Post
              Yeah watched it. You can work out how the 'human' cyclons arose and why they believe in one god by watching the first two episodes.

Is there any need to watch the whole series? Dont think so!
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                BTW if you're hung up on Starbuck being a girl, you're missing the point. The new BSG was a very very different series. It's a remake in name and premise only, and you shouldn't watch expecting more of the same.

I'm hung up on them not having the creative imagination to do something different. Instead of 're-imagining' classic shows or films why not do something original for a change.

I think it's just laziness. Much easier to cash in on any past success than try to produce something totally new, yet 90% of the time the new version is piss-poor compared to original:

Bionic Woman
                Knight Rider
                Hulk
                <The A-Team, placeholder for now>
                V
                Dukes of Hazzard
                Starskie and Hutch

Then there's lots of films that were remade and are absolute crap:

The Italian Job
                Get Carter
                Texas Chainsaw Massacre
                Halloween
                Rollerball
                Death Race (even worse than the original and that's dated pretty badly!)
                The Wickerman
                Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
                <insert many many more here, there's plenty to choose from>
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                  I'm hung up on them not having the creative imagination to do something different. Instead of 're-imagining' classic shows or films why not do something original for a change.

I think it's just laziness. Much easier to cash in on any past success than try to produce something totally new, yet 90% of the time the new version is piss-poor compared to original:

Bionic Woman
                  Knight Rider
                  Hulk
                  <The A-Team, placeholder for now>
                  V
                  Dukes of Hazzard
                  Starskie and Hutch

Then there's lots of films that were remade and are absolute crap:

The Italian Job
                  Get Carter
                  Texas Chainsaw Massacre
                  Halloween
                  Rollerball
                  Death Race (even worse than the original and that's dated pretty badly!)
                  The Wickerman
                  Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
                  <insert many many more here, there's plenty to choose from>
                  Eh!? BSG:TOS used a lot of creative imagination, didnt it? I mean a band of travellers going from place to place finding extremely similar people as themselves, with the same everyday problems too ie bad guy in town, pending disasterous situation they have no way to resolve, etc, etc had never been done before had it?

Oh and the effects, marvellous. Not!
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post

I agree with you completely, but BSG is one of the very few that really did work and added something different and original. It's like Joe Cocker's version of "Little help from my friends" - it's essentially a new song, not a cover version.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X