• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Maldives

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Maldives

Anyone here ever been?

Mrs Scooter and I are thinking about doing so in the next few weeks -

This place is getting our vote at the minute but we'd appreciate any pointers or tips..

Is it worth waiting until April, rainy season starts proper in May we're told, but I notice prices start to drop by almost half in April..
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

According to global warming experts it won’t exist after 2010.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Anyone here ever been?

Mrs Scooter and I are thinking about doing so in the next few weeks -

This place is getting our vote at the minute but we'd appreciate any pointers or tips..

Is it worth waiting until April, rainy season starts proper in May we're told, but I notice prices start to drop by almost half in April..
      Yep, very, very, very nice indeed. Loved the place!

Remember stepping of the boat onto the island and you know you have this picture of absolute paradise in your head - well that was it!

Nothing whatsoever to do except reading, eating, drinking, swimming and diving but those are my favourite things to do anyway so suited me nicely.

Sea-life is staggering, you see all sorts even if you just stick to the shallows. Saw huge turtles and if you went out on the pier at night there'd be loads of sharks just cruising past.
      Last edited by Durbs; 6 February 2010, 14:09.

Comment

Went to Kuredu (sp?) in Sept 2008. Looks a similar size island to yours or maybe a bit smaller.

If you like diving or fancy learning it's amazing. If you don't and get bored lying on the beach it's the dullest place on earth once you get past the scenery.

We had a great time. I'd go for the little villas that open up to the beach. Way better than the ones on stilts IMVHO.

Have fun.

Comment

We both dive, was last diving off Zanzibar amazing.

We're part of the PADI fraternity 'Pay and Die Idiot',

Sounds amazing...
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
            Nothing whatsoever to do except reading, eating, drinking, swimming and diving but those are my favourite things to do anyway so suited me nicely.
            4 of my favourite things

Comment

Maldives is wonderful. We went to the Royal Island - Twin Otter flew us over and boat took us in. We had our own place with private beach and balcony facing the sea, which was within 5 seconds walking distance.

Great food, cocktails, lots of trips to neighbouring islands and very intense sun. Don't bring any extra clothes (put it all in hand luggage) as you won't need any. Bring plenty of books for reading, although most resorts have plenty of books around.

Try sn0rkling (wtf: profanity edited! lol!) (unless you dive) around the sea and buy an underwater (diposable if needs be) camera for all the fishies. They are fantastic.

Don't be frightened by a shark-like fish that is magnified with the distortions of the mask and scream like a girl as I did, only to find it was a foot long dog fish.

Best to go around Feb and try all-inclusive options (where all drinks are prepaid). I got my money's worth!

Try and go for two weeks - you'll come back stress free - it's wonderful.

And go for the spa treatments.

Great for diving (although I don't dive).

Each island has a distinctive style. Some are diving islands, some are deserted "Paradise Lost", some are heaving with people, some are full of Italian "party people" looking to club all night. Some are exclusive and very costly like the Banyan Tree or Sonevafushi.

Blow your money now before the government confiscate it all. Or the wife divorces you and takes the lot.
              If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post

Best to go around Feb and try all-inclusive options (where all drinks are prepaid). I got my money's worth!
                WHS. Normally I'd avoid all inc like the plague but when you're paying for quality and where there's no options (i.e. you're not likely to be visiting anywhere else of an evening unless you've got your own boat) then I'd go for it everytime.

Our flight off the island was a bit delayed. Normally I'd winge but it was because a school of dolphins was 'on the runway' and the pilot wanted to take some pics. in fact he nearly lost a flip-flop in the process.

Comment

Maldives

I went to the maldives on honeymoon. Went to Sun Island, was rated as 4* and was not expecting too much but it was really relaxing and nice, the food was excellent and the bunglows where water or on the beach and the everything was tidy clean and neat

I have also been to Barbados and IMO Maldives is much better value for money.

Maldives appears to be more international where Barbodos consists of manky hotels with package tourists from America and UK and snotty establishments with seething class warfare(I had great fun here but that is another story)

Maldives does what it says on the box, its a tropical holiday. So if you want to drink cocktails, ski , swim and laze around the pool its great.

In my albeit limited experience, I rate the Maldives quite highly if thats what you are looking for.
                  There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

It's brilliant Scooterscot, you will love it. Been there in April and it was fine weather wise. Best place I've ever been on holiday, and agree with everything said above.

Comment

Working...
                    X