• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'The Clash' question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'The Clash' question

Should I stay or should I go . . .

Now then, I have the opportunity to uproot my family and move to Sydney as a job has come up. Am in the process of weighing it up.

I am interested in working abroad, purely for a different experience. I have lived and, for the most part, worked in the same area all my life. I kind of want to get out and do something different.

I'm not thinking of leaving the UK because "it's going to the dogs", "the grass is greener elsewhere", "rubbish weather", etc.

Other places that interested me were Norway or Canada, but it looks like Oz has a definite job opportunity for me currently.

Any thoughts from others who have worked abroad would be handy!

Ta.

Go.

Never look back.

Comment

If you go and it doesn't work out, you can come back.

If you don't go, you may regret it for the rest of your life. And when you're dead, you're dead for a long time.

You could make the decision to only go for the duration of this job, then wait and see if your family want to stay and let them make that decision. That is, "I'm going and you're coming with me because I love you, but after 12 months I promise to let you decide what we do and where we go and I will go along with that without complaint." Your gut reaction to that promise should help you decide what you want to do.

- - - - -

My wife has a cousin who was seconded to Canada for two years; he took his wife and two teenage children. The education of neither suffered but they came back wiser and more confident, certainly with regard to sport and travel!

A brother's wife was taken as a child to Australia when her mum & dad emigrated. It did not work out and they came back. She has no desire to return to Australia, nor to emigrate, because she knows how much she would miss her friends as she did as a child. Yet she does not resent having been taken and advises people not to let having children stop you from going.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

OK. This will be a sensible post from me so make the most of it. (I've just had my weekly bath and feel all 'strange')

Ignoring the 'going to the dogs' bits.

Yes, consider it.

I have worked abroad US/Caribbean and I love it and hope to be returning to it some day soon. I am older (now 50) and have no family to consider. It it an excellent experience in many respects and I have a deeper understanding of what the old saying 'that travel broadens the mind' really means.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiler View Post

Now then, I have the opportunity to uproot my family and move to Sydney as a job has come up. Am in the process of weighing it up.

I am interested in working abroad, purely for a different experience. I have lived and, for the most part, worked in the same area all my life. I kind of want to get out and do something different.

I'm not thinking of leaving the UK because "it's going to the dogs", "the grass is greener elsewhere", "rubbish weather", etc.

Other places that interested me were Norway or Canada, but it looks like Oz has a definite job opportunity for me currently.

Ta.
          Carpe diem

I've worked in Netherlands and lived in Freo, Perth for a while and I agree, it's worth ignoring the "UK going to the dogs" because other countries have and will go through all sorts of nonsense at some stage.

As others have said - have fun, explore, give it a go - you never know where opportunities take you.
          If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

I wouldn't hesitate to go.

I've spent more than half of my working life outside of the UK and about to make a semi permanent move again.

As others have said you can always come back but I suspect you'll have no regrets
            Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiler View Post

Ta.
              After having travelled and lived in parts of Aus, I'd go as far as sayign there is a 99.99% chance you'll hate Sydney if you haven't visited before. It is not the Aussie paradise we brits are leads to believe. Pretty much everyone I talk to who has visited feels the same way.

Melbourne and Brisbane however I found to be amazing.

Melbourne has an IT job market equal to that of Sydney, and is a MUCH nicer city to live in. Brisbane less so, but is a huge and fantastic city.

Be careful what you choose. Aussie is a wonderful place, however, it is VERY far away, and if you haven't been away from home much before, you will feel the isolation.

TM

Comment

Originally posted by themistry View Post
                After having travelled and lived in parts of Aus, I'd go as far as sayign there is a 99.99% chance you'll hate Sydney if you haven't visited before. It is not the Aussie paradise we brits are leads to believe. Pretty much everyone I talk to who has visited feels the same way.
                What's to hate about Sydney?

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                  Motorways owned by different companies so you have to pay numerous times. Don't ever take a wrong turn. It becomes really expensive.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                    Funnel web spiders
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                    X