• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looking for work internationally.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for work internationally.

Have you considered looking internationally ? Any inside tips ?

I am using Monster but I don't know if they are still the largest one ? For example I made a search for system engineering ( mcse stuff) in Dubai ( UAE ) and got about 2 results or so ?!

Last week I also applied for an mcse job in the Port Of Spain. I got a response basically saying: " Sorry mate , no work here. The government is not issuing permits any more. Peace."

The world is practically not hiring.

How about Germany. The economy there is doing better than most...

Comment

Originally posted by newblood View Post
      The world is practically not hiring.
      The world is hiring, but where possible it's asians or eastern europeans they're hiring in preference to expensive brits and yanks.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Mango View Post
        How about Germany. The economy there is doing better than most...
        Well, it's more like lots of contractors have been burned by a change in the rules and a sudden rise in interest in the tax authorities in their dealings has opened up a whole lot of posts.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Should have added to my post, of the (few) UAE/Qatar jobs that I've been asked about, I've found that they are paying lower rates than I earn in the UK. Recently I was offered a crack at one job that worked out to £31 an hour for 12 hours a day 6 days a week.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            Should have added to my post, of the (few) UAE/Qatar jobs that I've been asked about, I've found that they are paying lower rates than I earn in the UK. Recently I was offered a crack at one job that worked out to £31 an hour for 12 hours a day 6 days a week.
            Mmm, but there is no or low tax there ?

Comment

Originally posted by Green Mango View Post
              Mmm, but there is no or low tax there ?
              That's (£31/hr) still no more than I take home here in the UK and I get to sleep in my own bed every night.

Comment

How did you get offered ? Did you apply somewhere or got contacted ? It seems uncertain how much sense there is to apply to job adverts on job boards rather then .. i don't know - call all your ex colleagues and ask for leads.

Comment

Originally posted by newblood View Post
                  How did you get offered ? Did you apply somewhere or got contacted ? It seems uncertain how much sense there is to apply to job adverts on job boards rather then .. i don't know - call all your ex colleagues and ask for leads.
                  Agent found my CV on the t'interweb and called me for that job.

I have applied for (combination of job boards and company websites) probably ~50 or 60 roles in the UAE over the last year. I haven't had a single interview for any of them. In fact, now that I think about it, I'm struggling to remember an application that has even been acknowledged.

Of the (quite a few) roles that I've been called about, none have ever gone further than the agent calling me and asking me to send an up to date CV to them. I don't know how typical my experience is, but I'm looking for senior roles equivalent to those I've been doing the last 20 years in the UK, Europe and Far East. I'm not giving up, I only need the one right job to come along and I'll be sorted, that's why I haven't given up.

Comment

Agent found my CV on the t'interweb and called me for that job.

I have applied for (combination of job boards and company websites) probably ~50 or 60 roles in the UAE over the last year. I haven't had a single interview for any of them. In fact, now that I think about it, I'm struggling to remember an application that has even been acknowledged.

Of the (quite a few) roles that I've been called about, none have ever gone further than the agent calling me and asking me to send an up to date CV to them. I don't know how typical my experience is, but I'm looking for senior roles equivalent to those I've been doing the last 20 years in the UK, Europe and Far East. I'm not giving up, I only need the one right job to come along and I'll be sorted, that's why I haven't given up.
                    Oh Boy , so you are looking internationally as well ?

I myself have 10 years in my background. It is funny how I have always emphasized EXPERIENCE on my CV , but now if/when I start applying for lower-rate contracts - it may be necessary to play-down my cv.

Comment

Working...
                    X