• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Free laptop? Annoyed.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free laptop? Annoyed.

Just read this on the sky news website.

So this is Mr Browns idea of prudence? While the country's in a deep recession, huge national deficit and the threat of cutbacks to frontline public services (NHS, schools, police) Mr Brown sees fit to pledge laptops around?

Surely improving internet services at the local library or in local school will be more beneficial to the community and cheaper? How does a free laptop even help in the situation where 'the mother who's worried about her son struggling with his reading can find out more about how she can help'?

Why does it cost £300m to supply 270k families - a cheap broadband package can be had for about £60/year whilst netbooks can be bought for around the £200 mark.

Seems more like its a pre-election bribe to give the scroungers a reason to get off their backsides and into a polling booth! Like a pedophile handing out sweeties to little children. Has me thoroughly disgusted.

Still, now we know why BN66 had to have retrospective legislation in it, they suddenly needed that £200m to contribute towards these free laptops.

Meanwhile schools are short of books
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Did you see the stop press though ?

Harold has been defeated by William near Hastings. It looks like it's all over for Godwinson

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Wham! have split up.
        Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

They've done this before at a local government level. Somewhere in Scotland I think.

All they did was create a big market in second hand laptops. Pointless Labour stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by JaredM View Post
            Still, now we know why BN66 had to have retrospective legislation in it, they suddenly needed that £200m to contribute towards these free laptops.
            No, BN66 has nothing to do with it: something had to be done about people resident in the UK and doing business here whilst paying 3.5% tax on activities where as others would have to pay 40%+.

HTH

Comment

This has been well debated here before. Google for "Bribo laptop". A chap created a hilarious Ebay auction about it. PC World will supply the laptops at a subsidized cost of 1100£ .

It's a win - win really.

Chav mums -> sell on ebay, get cash, profit!
              Labour -> chav votes
              PC world -> 800 quids profit on every laptop

Somebody has to lose something here, but I cannot work out who
              Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Give it a week and they will all be straight down the social making a claim for an emergency loan because "me man blew the money for the kids food on partypoker".

When I was off last year to get out the house I would head down the Libraby with my laptop to use the free WiFi they advertised. Except there was never ever any seats, there were a few desks with PCs on it but they were taken up by plebs playing online poker. All the free WiFi did was give access to the staff at the curry shop next door.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                  Somebody has to lose something here, but I cannot work out who
                  Well surely everyone who pays their 'fair share'

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    No, BN66 has nothing to do with it: something had to be done about people resident in the UK and doing business here whilst paying 3.5% tax on activities where as others would have to pay 40%+.

HTH
                    You really do have a problem with this, don't you?

Stop being a bitter little turd and live with it.

Comment

Working...
                    X