• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is a good 'symbol' for an atheist to wear?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is a good 'symbol' for an atheist to wear?

Once again the right to advertise your brand of religion to the rest of society rears its head with the Sikh dagger malarkey. We have one mob with their head scarves and beards, another with skull caps and Volvos, while others prefer fish symbols and effigies of little men nailed to a cross.

As an atheist I think they are all equally wrong in their beliefs but reserve their right to believe what they want, providing they are tolerant of others and don't insult me by telling me my children will burn in hell for not being christened etc. I do have a problem with generation after generation indoctrinating their offspring to believe the same without challenge though.

I wonder if it would help those poor indoctrinated kids to think for themselves if they encountered an atheist symbol in their daily lives rather than assume that everyone else is 'probably' of one faith or another.

What do you lot think? and what would be a good symbol? (Richard Dawkins nailed to a cross excepted)

Originally posted by singhr View Post
    Once again the right to advertise your brand of religion to the rest of society rears its head with the Sikh dagger malarkey. We have one mob with their head scarves and beards, another with skull caps and Volvos, while others prefer fish symbols and effigies of little men nailed to a cross.

As an atheist I think they are all equally wrong in their beliefs but reserve their right to believe what they want, providing they are tolerant of others and don't insult me by telling me my children will burn in hell for not being christened etc. I do have a problem with generation after generation indoctrinating their offspring to believe the same without challenge though.

I wonder if it would help those poor indoctrinated kids to think for themselves if they encountered an atheist symbol in their daily lives rather than assume that everyone else is 'probably' of one faith or another.

What do you lot think? and what would be a good symbol? (Richard Dawkins nailed to a cross excepted)
    Personally I think you need to be more tolerant of other peoples points of view.

Comment

what would be a good symbol?
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Doesn't Dawkins himself wear some kind of lapel badge that identifies him as a "Clear Thinker"?

Comment

I am not a "atheist", or any other kind of "ist". I am just someone who does not believe in God. I don't need a symbol to show that, and indeed I resent the non-belief in God being classified as just another religion.
          Step outside posh boy

Comment

Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
            I am not a "atheist", or any other kind of "ist". I am just someone who does not believe in God. I don't need a symbol to show that, and indeed I resent the non-belief in God being classified as just another religion.
            whs
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Just knowing that "we" are right and they are all wrong is enough ...

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                Personally I think you need to be more tolerant of other peoples points of view.
                that's it! a barry took badge.

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
                  that's it! a barry took badge.
                  Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefferson
                    But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
                    WHS.

Comment

Working...
                    X