• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Forums and Cyberbullying

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forums and Cyberbullying

When does healthy debate descend into cyberbullying?

An interesting question...

I believe that CUK has a good reputation in this area. 99/100 the spats on here are between regulars who know how to handle themselves (although I still don't quite get the SASguru/Dim Prawn/Churchill one.. ).

While there are blow-ups and tants and the occasional misunderstanding, I have only occasionally seen anyone hold grudges across threads, (and these have been dealt with by Admin). I am rude to those I believe are trying it on, but not to genuine (I believe) newbies. (Terse when telling them to use the Search button is not rude, in my book )

And the ignore button works well enough for those who do get on our goats, so I've been told...

We don't tend to tolerate cyberbullying and tend to jump on it before it reaches Admin.

Or there undercurrents I have missed?
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    We don't tend to tolerate cyberbullying and tend to jump on it before it reaches Admin.
    You mean you bully the bullies?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      You mean you bully the bullies?
      No - telling them they are out of order on that post..

As you were with the AK-47 quote.

"I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

When does healthy debate descend into cyberbullying?

An interesting question...

I believe that CUK has a good reputation in this area. 99/100 the spats on here are between regulars who know how to handle themselves (although I still don't quite get the SASguru/Dim Prawn/Churchill one.. ).

While there are blow-ups and tants and the occasional misunderstanding, I have only occasionally seen anyone hold grudges across threads, (and these have been dealt with by Admin). I am rude to those I believe are trying it on, but not to genuine (I believe) newbies. (Terse when telling them to use the Search button is not rude, in my book )

And the ignore button works well enough for those who do get on our goats, so I've been told...

Or there undercurrents I have missed?
        It's wierd isn't it - I'm always giving out to Churchill for being mean to Threaded but then they have a few posts where they are doing the mutual appreciation thing so I don't quite get it

Also don't get the Sas/Prawn/Shaunbhoy thing either.. guess it's old stuff from before I joined CUK.

I think the thing is - things tend to come across more agressive and harsh sometimes than you may have intended so it seems like you are being a gimp when really thats not what you meant at all.

I only ever had Cybercretin on my ignore list... no one on there now that he's gone!!
        Bazza gets caught
        Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
          I only ever had Cybercretin on my ignore list... no one on there now that he's gone!!
          Some folk got upset with me bullying him, but I think most folk think he deserved it.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            Some folk got upset with me bullying him, but I think most folk think he deserved it.
            He was such an ass...
            Bazza gets caught

Comment

As you were with the AK-47 quote.

Comment

It's wierd isn't it - I'm always giving out to Churchill for being mean to Threaded
                You bribe Churchy with sexual favours in return for him being nasty to Threaded???

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                  He was such an ass...
                  Oh the irony...

This thread looks as though it's in danger of turning into a "Bullying" thread...

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
                    You bribe Churchy with sexual favours in return for him being nasty to Threaded???
                    You know what I mean... (telling off is the same as giving out!)
                    Bazza gets caught

Comment

Working...
                    X