• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone travelled to the US recently? Changes to the Visa Waiver Programme?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone travelled to the US recently? Changes to the Visa Waiver Programme?

The "Visa Waiver Wizard" on the US embassy website advises me that I need a visa to travel to the US. I've been many times before, always under the Waiver Programme. But not this time, it seems.

I *think* what triggered this is that I was once arrested (but not convicted) for a minor offence

Anyone one else tried to travel to the US recently and had any problem?

Anyone know how long the visa application process takes?

Its getting a lot tougher to travel to the US. My brother-in-law almost had his work permit revoked at the US border - just cause the US border guard was in a bad mood (or so my BiL says). My parents also seem to have troubles as well - they have to wait while the guard phones some office to clear them through. Wasn't Obama supposed to make the US a kinder and gentler place?
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Have you done the web quiz on the US consulate site? (Edit - yes you have).

Actual rules are you can't use the Visa Waiver if you've ever been convicted or arrested for an offence involving "Moral Turpitude".

The definition of Moral Turpitude is loose, so they pretty much say you have to apply to get a visa to find out. They might say (when you apply) that they don't give a crap about your arrest and you can continue to use the Waiver Program.

HOWEVER, US department of immigration has no access to the PNC, so if you lie or say you don't need to tick the box as your offence wasn't morally turpiduous, then the border official is not going to know (UNLESS you've used your passport number to correspond with them about it).

Also, if you've got an old passport (non-machine readable - the little chevrons at the bottom of the info page denote it's machine readable) then you also need to get a visa.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Lying on a US border visa waiver for is a Morally Turpiduous offence.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Website

You also have to complete this online

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/

before going. It gives an indication that you're OK to go to America (can still be refused) straight away, a delay in the OK (a few days) or not OK (go to US Embassy before travel)

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            Lying on a US border visa waiver for is a Morally Turpiduous offence.
            So if you did not commit it but lie at the border that you did, then you will end up having committed it even though you didn't in the first place?

Comment

The questionnaire on the website explicitly says that motoring arrests are excluded (if for parking or speeding violations IIRC) but there's no mention of moral turpitude:

Travelers who have been arrested, even if the arrest did not result in a criminal conviction... are required to apply for visas
              And it looks like I need a certificate from the cops to submit with my visa application.

I have a bad feeling about this ClientCo are not going to be happy if I can't get a visa on time, if I can get one at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                The questionnaire on the website explicitly says that motoring arrests are excluded (if for parking or speeding violations IIRC) but there's no mention of moral turpitude:

And it looks like I need a certificate from the cops to submit with my visa application.

I have a bad feeling about this ClientCo are not going to be happy if I can't get a visa on time, if I can get one at all.
                True, but the wording for the actual Visa Waiver application is different.

So as long as you don't bother with the 'wizard' questionnaire....

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                  True, but the wording for the actual Visa Waiver application is different.

So as long as you don't bother with the 'wizard' questionnaire....
                  Wikipedia says that the crime for which I was arrested counts as moral turpitude mind you, as far as I can see, most things do.

I'd best do this by the book.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                    Wikipedia says that the crime for which I was arrested counts as moral turpitude mind you, as far as I can see, most things do.

I'd best do this by the book.
                    Come on, spill

Comment

Working...
                    X