• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Last day of permiedom as I leave my place of work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last day of permiedom as I leave my place of work

I never thought it would be this difficult to leave. Over 2 years at one place and you start to grow attached to it.

30 mins to go and im off, most likely for good.

Have I made the right choice? I believe so but still have a strange feeling of entering into the unknown, a bit like leaving uni for working life....

(I await the daggers and swords)

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    I never thought it would be this difficult to leave. Over 2 years at one place and you start to grow attached to it.

Have I made the right choice? I believe so but still have a strange feeling of entering into the unknown, a bit like leaving uni for working life....

And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Step out of the darkness and into the light.

"Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

IMO The fact that you've grown attached to the place and it's hard to leave suggests that you have made the right choice

The only reason I ever want to feel like I can't leave a workplace is because they're paying me too much

Employee's not wanting to leave because they're happy is music to a bean counters ears
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
          Step out of the darkness and into the light.

WSS

Comment

You can now change your name NorthWestEXPermNOWaContractor

Comment

But think how alive you feel? Staying put in the cosy familarity may seem the right choice, but I always feel that when it gets to that point it is the right time to move on.

In a year's time you'll remember one or two moments and the rest of it will have melded into one compressed blob of nothingness. In short you'll feel like you wasted your time there.

Soon the emotional ties will be gone and if you meet your old colleagues they will seem like strangers who you have nothing in common with anymore.

Keep moving around, keep fresh and keep the £££s coming in!

Comment

Was in a permy gig in London. Working for an investment house. Worked my ass of for five months solid, and I mean worked my ass off.

Company got a consultancy in while I was on well earned leave. I returned to assist in handovers. Consultancy was only there to "assist me" but it was clear what was going on. Company hired one guy and said "you have 18 months, can we have a system please?" and then in 5 months saw my design, loved it, and got a consultancy in to finish off.

I left. With nothing to go to.

Been contracting ever since.

And much better for it. (even the bad times have made me stronger)

If there is ANYTHING I can do to help, PM me. I have had a lot of support on here, and am only too eager to pay it forward.

Good luck

SY01
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Thanks for your responses guys. I just hope the way the market has picked up in Jan/Feb is not a blip as I have been getting calls from agencies left, right and centre. Let's hope the boom continues!

Good luck all with your contracts.

Comment

Thanks for your responses guys. I just hope the way the market has picked up in Jan/Feb is not a blip as I have been getting calls from agencies left, right and centre. Let's hope the boom continues!

Good luck all with your contracts.
                    I am sorry? Calls left right and center? Boom?? The way the market has picked up? You are kidding arn't you and where do you get all this from? I am sure 99.9% of people on here wouldn't agree with that at all. Surely some mistake?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X