• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How Goldman Sachs Helped Greece to Mask its True Debt

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...676634,00.html

"Goldman Sachs helped the Greek government to mask the true extent of its deficit with the help of a derivatives deal that legally circumvented the EU Maastricht deficit rules. At some point the so-called cross currency swaps will mature, and swell the country's already bloated deficit."

"...Goldman Sachs charged a hefty commission for the deal and sold the swaps on to a Greek bank in 2005."

Another day another dollar for Goldman. Trouble is, I can't help feeling in one way or another, that it's my dollar.

You don't say!

Comment

Check out this recent Rolling Stone article about Goldmans.

Comment

Ive got relations in Greece that own property, businesses etc. They and all their friends all moved their money to Cyprus about 2 years ago.

So it seems that it was only the Greek gov and the rest of the world that did not see this crisis coming!

PZZ
        Last edited by pzz76077; 9 February 2010, 23:21. Reason: added a ,

Comment

Originally posted by NoddY View Post
          Another day another dollar for Goldman. Trouble is, I can't help feeling in one way or another, that it's my dollar.
          That's true of all banks, even at the simplest level. The effect of fractional reserve banking is to allow the banks to create money. Every dollar they create immediately becomes their dollar, so now the rest of the world owes them another dollar. Who do you think pays that debt? It's not the Tooth Fairy, I'm pretty sure of that.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            And guess who had a starring role in the 1929 debacle.
            You?

Comment

This should help the Greek situation:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8507551.stm

Comment

Working...
              X