• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Well, I've finally done it!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I've finally done it!!!

OK, I've finally joined the .NET brigade, out with VS 6.0 and as we speak, in with VS 8.0

So, time to port all my goodies. In a way a useful exercise intellectually as well as financially... All my existing customers will have to upgrade to the new all singing all dancing .NET versions...

Kerrrrchiiiing!

All aboooaaaaarrrrd the .NET Gravy Train...

BTW, merry xmas ya bastards!

Ok, I'm not a programmer/developer. I've done a bit of mucking about with code and such ( mostly C++ ) but nothing I ever got paid for, or was meant to get paid for

How do I hitch a ride on the gravy train that is obviously .NET?

I'm not looking to get straight into contracts with it but pointers on picking up the relevent skills would be nice

TBH I'm looking for a plan B to fall back on if the Security / Audit / Risk Management route doesnt work out.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Please don't tell me you are using VB.NET......

C# is the future of .NET

Comment

Ask Milan.

Toot-toot!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
          Please don't tell me you are using VB.NET......

C# is the future of .NET
          Beginners
          All purpose
          Symbolic
          Instruction
          Code

I should feckin' cocoa!!!

Nope, C++ at the moment, will have a look at C#, see if there are any advantages with regards to my usual development projects.

Any pointers?
          (and no, I didn't mean that as a joke)

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
            Ok, I'm not a programmer/developer. I've done a bit of mucking about with code and such ( mostly C++ ) but nothing I ever got paid for, or was meant to get paid for

I'm not looking to get straight into contracts with it but pointers on picking up the relevent skills would be nice

TBH I'm looking for a plan B to fall back on if the Security / Audit / Risk Management route doesnt work out.
            Download the Express Editions - they are free for at least the next year.

Comment

Originally posted by zathras
              or grab the torrent for the pro edition... Like someone I know did, not me of course, it was a <ahem> friend...

Comment

Originally posted by zathras
                Dowloading as we speak... err, type. Any suggestions on a good idiots guide to .NET to get me started, useful websites etc that are worth looking at?

Look out gravy, here I come!
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by TGAOTU
                  Beginners
                  All purpose
                  Symbolic
                  Instruction
                  Code

I should feckin' cocoa!!!

Nope, C++ at the moment, will have a look at C#, see if there are any advantages with regards to my usual development projects.

Any pointers?
                  (and no, I didn't mean that as a joke)
                  have a look at C# 2.0 (current version)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vcsharp/default.aspx

and C# 3.0

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vcsharp/future/default.aspx

Some super features to come. DLing, XLing, LINQ

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
                    Don't think you need to worry on that score. Security will be bouyant for a long time yet...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                    X