• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time to emigrate. But where?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to emigrate. But where?

I'm looking for a country that is civilised and peaceful, prosperous with a low tax rate due to lack of waste and corruption, with a good health service, stable currency, healthy economy, attractive scenery, affordable housing, friendly and educated people.

And will let me in.
    Step outside posh boy

Greece is nice. Sunny. Everything cash in hand. No need to worry about tax.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
      I'm looking for a country that is civilised and peaceful, prosperous with a low tax rate due to lack of waste and corruption, with a good health service, stable currency, healthy economy, attractive scenery, affordable housing, friendly and educated people.

And will let me in.
      Fck off, we're full

Actually Singapore hits almost all of those criteria (Affordable housing is pretty relative).
      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

tax haven?
        The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

and to answer the question better we'd need to know your country of birth and what passport you hold?

England, British?
          The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post

And will let me in.

I'm no expert, but sounds like the UK to me. Especially the last bit.
            If you've got a problem and no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire...Gordon Brown ...( cue music )

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
              That is not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for somewhere to live, not just somewhere that will probably not levy tax on income earned outside the country. And I don't mind paying tax (I'd have a nerve asking for a good health service otherwise), I just feel that I'm paying too much for too many wrong purposes.

And I'm not rich, so the top-class havens wouldn't let me in, and it has to be somewhere I can work. Or at least commute weekly, though that gets you into the work country's tax system.

If I were rich, I wouldn't have to ask on here.

BTW I glanced at that link and saw among others Liberia listed there. I have lived there and it is no tax haven.
              Step outside posh boy

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                and to answer the question better we'd need to know your country of birth and what passport you hold?

England, British?
                UK, British. And older than, for example, New Zealand's skilled migration age limit.
                Step outside posh boy

Comment

Switzerland. Some of the expats are friendly.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Brown View Post
                    I'm no expert, but sounds like the UK to me. Especially the last bit.
                    Quite so. You are no expert.
                    Step outside posh boy

Comment

Working...
                    X