• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Early termination of tenancy agreement

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early termination of tenancy agreement

A question to all you landlords from a renter AKA Tenant scum :-)

I potentially have a lucrative long term role in Europe, but I have about 9 months left on my rental contract.

I have renting the place for nearly two years and my renewal rate was probably about 85% of market value, by my own and the landlords estimates.

He is busy renovating the bathroom and a general lick and spit of paint elsewhere.

The flat is in a prime area of West London and to be honest when I looked at the beginning of the year I could not find anything in that area even close to the price I am paying now.

The way I see it, if I cover the commission he has paid to the letting agent and let him advertise the property for 6 weeks before I go, I cant really see a problem as with the renovated bathroom he could probably add about 25% on what I am paying at least, and I was looking over XMAS and now it will be heading to summer, so the rentals will be stronger

As landlords, if you where in this scenario, would you allow me the break the contract or would you insist that I honour the contract and sublet(I am allowed to in the contract)?

Subletting would probably work for me and make me a bit of cash, but I will be upping sticks so could do without the aggravation.

It sounds like a bit of a no brainer to me, but would any grizzly, money-grabbing, capitalist property owners here be prepared to give their opinion?
    There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

I'd sublet. When you're working away it's nice to have distractions.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Subletting is explicitly disallowed in many rental agreements

Comment

Check your contract. You should be able to give notice. Normally you must give 1 months notice that you intend to leave, and you can only give it after 6 months have elapsed.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I worked on a contract where a group of us rented a house. The turnover of contractors was quite high (dreadful project ), and the landlord was quite happy for new victims to take over the rental agreement.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Contract

Subletting

There is a subletting clause, pretty standard stating subletting only by consent of landlord and it will not be unreasonably refused.

In this case my ground IMHO are reasonable.

Notice period

I have a one year contract, with no break clause.
            There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

The law is complex on L&T and much will depend on the lease or rental agreement. Subletting is a high risk even if it is allowed; you would be responsible for any damage, non-payment of taxes etc. You could be stuffed on that one. The safest way is to tell your landlord and quit. Even if you moved out and left the property empty while still paying rent; you could be in breach and may have to pay costs. For example it may cost the landlord more to insure an empty property or the city council could charge him 120% council tax for an empty property. Negotiate with him; the worst would be that you have to pay the difference in rent with a new tenant and out of pocket expenses. Any improvements to the property are irrelevant. Disputes with L&T are normally settled with arbitration although it does preclude other forms of litigation.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

If you do a runner and give no forwarding address how is the landlord or utility companies supplying the water/gas/leccy going to find you to force you to pay up any money you owe them?

I've always been cautious on this front when renting places close to clients but often wondered just how much they can do if you don't play by the rules.
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                  I've always been cautious on this front when renting places close to clients but often wondered just how much they can do if you don't play by the rules.
                  Well, they can get a CCJ and knacker your credit rating for one.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                    If you do a runner and give no forwarding address how is the landlord or utility companies supplying the water/gas/leccy going to find you to force you to pay up any money you owe them?

They get CCJ by default and every credit check on your name can turn it up. Also how exactly are you going to give 3 years of history where you lived?

Comment

Working...
                    X