• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Petition to reform English Libel Laws

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petition to reform English Libel Laws

Not sure if it's been done before on CUK, but I've just received an update email from Simon Singh:

As you know, England’s chilling libel laws need to be reformed. One way to help achieve this is for 100,000 people to sign the petition for libel reform before the political parties write their manifestos for the election. We have 17,000 signatures, but we really need 100,000, and we need your help to get there.

www.libelreform.org/sign

When persuading your friends remember to tell them:

(a) English libel laws have been condemned by the UN Human Rights Committee.

(b) These laws gag scientists, bloggers and journalists who want to discuss matters of genuine public interest (and public health!).

(c) Our laws give rise to libel tourism, whereby the rich and the powerful (Saudi billionaires, Russian oligarchs and overseas corporations) come to London to sue writers because English libel laws are so hostile to responsible journalism. (In fact, it is exactly because English libel laws have this global impact that we welcome signatories to the petition from around the world.)

(d) Vested interests can use their resources to bully and intimidate those who seek to question them. The cost of a libel trial in England is 100 times more expensive than the European average and typically runs to over £1 million.

(e) Three separate ongoing libel cases involve myself and two medical researchers raising concerns about three medical treatments. We face losing £1 million each. In future, why would anyone else raise similar concerns? If these health matters are not reported, then the public is put at risk.

My experience has been sobering. I’ve had to spend £100,000 to defend my writing and have put my life on hold for almost two years. However, the prospect of reforming our libel laws keeps me cheerful.

Thanks so much for your support. We’ve only got one shot at this – so I hope you can persuade 1 (or maybe 10) friends, family and colleagues to sign.

Massive thanks,

Simon

www.libelreform.org/sign

The Libel Reform Campaign is a coalition of English PEN, Index on Censorship and Sense About Science.

So far, 188 MPs have signed our Parliamentary Early Day Motion calling for libel reform and the Justice Secretary Jack Straw has formed a working party that the Libel Reform Coalition is represented on.

Please also considering donating to keep our campaign going: www.libelreform.org
    The prospect of scientists not being able to publish research because of Mr Justice Eady's thoughts on libel is truly scary - please sign the petition.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

As far as I am aware there are no libel laws in England. I think it is part of Common Law and that can’t be legislated.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      As far as I am aware there are no libel laws in England. I think it is part of Common Law and that can’t be legislated.
      Good try at missing the fact that the word "law" appears in both of the phrases "libel law" and "Common Law"

Bonus mark for missing the fact that the campaign is for "libel reform" which is not necessarily the same thing as "legislation"

You may want to follow the links so as to learn about the issues and the ways in which they might be addressed before giving us the benefit of your exhaustive knowledge of the matter

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Good try at missing the fact that the word "law" appears in both of the phrases "libel law" and "Common Law"

Bonus mark for missing the fact that the campaign is for "libel reform" which is not necessarily the same thing as "legislation"

You may want to follow the links so as to learn about the issues and the ways in which they might be addressed before giving us the benefit of your exhaustive knowledge of the matter
        Not to mention that, if Parliament is sovereign, anything can be legislated.
        Step outside posh boy

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Personally I would not like any legislation to interfere with libel however, the recent introduction of “Super Injunctions” have been abused and these are not necessary and should be abolished. The main point seems to be that the legal process and cost of defending oneself; this is not just a problem with libel cases but with all civil litigation. It would be better if the whole civil court procedures were overhauled so that there is a level playing field. It is unfair that one side in a case can have two benches full of barristers and a row of solicitors behind them (no exaggeration ) and the other side acting in person. Worse still if loosing a case one side pays all costs even though a case may be lost on a technicality.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            Personally I would not like any legislation to interfere with libel however, the recent introduction of “Super Injunctions” have been abused and these are not necessary and should be abolished. The main point seems to be that the legal process and cost of defending oneself; this is not just a problem with libel cases but with all civil litigation. It would be better if the whole civil court procedures were overhauled so that there is a level playing field. It is unfair that one side in a case can have two benches full of barristers and a row of solicitors behind them (no exaggeration ) and the other side acting in person. Worse still if loosing a case one side pays all costs even though a case may be lost on a technicality.
            The law is there to defend the rich and powerful. It is not an accident that it does so.
            Step outside posh boy

Comment

Working...
            X