• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Did we already discuss the proposed voting law changes?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did we already discuss the proposed voting law changes?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8505255.stm

MPs have backed government plans to hold a UK-wide referendum on changing the voting system next year.

Voters would be asked if they wanted to keep "first past the post" or switch to the "alternative vote", which ranks candidates in order of preference.

But it is not certain the bill will become law before Parliament is dissolved ahead of the election.
    I didn't see a thread, was there one? If not, does anyone care?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Surely the alternative vote is going to go to the liberals more than anybodyelse. A Labour voter is not going to have a Tory alternative and a Tory voter is not going to have a Labour one.

Funny how Brown wants to change the voting system just when it looks like he might be turfed out. I didn't hear many calls for this straight after 1997
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
      Surely the alternative vote is going to go to the liberals more than anybodyelse. A Labour voter is not going to have a Tory alternative and a Tory voter is not going to have a Labour one.

Funny how Brown wants to change the voting system just when it looks like he might be turfed out. I didn't hear many calls for this straight after 1997
      Very old British habit. Look at when we gave the countries of the Empire a vote: when we left, not before.
      Step outside posh boy

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post

Extract from the Labour 1997 manifesto:

We are committed to a referendum on the voting system for the House of Commons. An independent commission on voting systems will be appointed early to recommend a proportional alternative to the first-past-the-post system.
        Whatever happened to that pledge?

Comment

Working...
        X