• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Annual leave or compensation?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Annual leave or compensation?

Hi guys,

Got a question. I am on the notice and serving last 4 weeks with my employer (perm). And I have 7.5 holiday days left. Manager saying that he will give me 5 days and 2.5 will be compensated with last salary.

Can anyone clarify what law says in that case? Can I demand to be on holiday for all 7.5 days?

I dont really want to get compensation.

Thanks

Doubt there is a law..

..which would cover this specifically. I'm guessing your contract says something along the lines of 'Holidays must be approved by management. Holidays are subject to overall business needs. The company will try and be flexible in relation to employee's requests.blah blah.

Any action you try to take would be probably based on words like 'reasonable' and the like. If they'd refused any holiday then they may have been unreasonable. I doubt anyone would take the case on with the exception of if a company denied holiday requests and didn't pay for the outstanding holidays in the final pay.

I had this situation happen, if you had placed your holiday requests before your resignation (and they had been granted) then you'd have been fine. An employer can't cancel approved holiday.

Now the only option is discussing it with your manager.

From their point of view he/she will want the longest handover.
    You want your holidays 'due'.
    They don't want an employee around who doesn't want to be there.

Comment

My contract says "holidays of over 5 days must be requested four weeks in advance" so you'd be stuck on that.

Just tell them your going to work at your closest competitor, you might get four weeks paid holiday then

Comment

Just as an aside, thanks for reminding us all why we don’t want to go permie. I think if someone gave me crap like that I’d say something very regrettable.

Welcome to life and freedom, and hopefully for you, wealth and happiness.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          I think if someone gave me crap like that I’d say something very regrettable.
          WHS
          Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

If you want to leave immediately then take a dump on the boardroom table - more impact and kudos if you take a crap during a meeting - even more Kudos if it's an AGM, you'll turn it into an Extraordinary AGM...

Comment

Originally posted by Unicorn View Post
              From their point of view he/she will want the longest handover.
              I don’t think so. I think some fat middle aged middle manager with an overhanging belly, a dysfunctional organ, two kids on crack and a wife who’s shagging the milkman just wants to have a power trip and is using the rules to get his way in at least one tiny aspect of his sad little life.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                If you want to leave immediately then take a dump on the boardroom table - more impact and kudos if you take a crap during a meeting - even more Kudos if it's an AGM, you'll turn it into an Extraordinary AGM...
                I don’t think so. I think some fat middle aged middle manager with an overhanging belly, a dysfunctional organ, two kids on crack and a wife who’s shagging the milkman just wants to have a power trip and is using the rules to get his way in at least one tiny aspect of his sad little life.
                Even more kudos if you crap on this fellow's desk!

Comment

Sick permies

Maybe however, gemasp, as a permie, can retaliate by using the self certifying sicky scheme which most employers can do nothing about.

Comment

Originally posted by Unicorn View Post
                    Maybe however, gemasp, as a permie, can retaliate by using the self certifying sicky scheme which most employers can do nothing about.

MTT's seal of approval.

Comment

Working...
                    X