• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britain's quarter of a trillion pound exposure to the PIIGS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Britain's quarter of a trillion pound exposure to the PIIGS

Here, in a chart, is why Britain can’t afford to be complacent about the plight of Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Greece and Spain. UK banks are exposed to these countries to the tune of 16 per cent of gross domestic product, according to this chart from Stephen Jen of BlueGold Capital Management (the figures themselves are Bank for International Settlement numbers).

[chart not included due to lack of inline images]

By my reckoning that’s just under £250bn of exposure, so if these economies topple, we can’t afford to smirk and be smug about the fact that we avoided joining the euro. We would be engulfed in a nasty, nasty financial crisis of our own.

Look, too, at Switzerland: it faces a 21pc of GDP exposure to these struggling nations. It is an important point ahead of tomorrow’s crunch European Council meeting tomorrow, at which leaders are expected to agree on some sort of bail-out package. At the moment, it looks as if the eurozone members (mainly France and Germany) will provide cash for a “firewall” bail-out designed to prevent these countries from toppling, but there are some whispers that Britain may have to make a contribution. These figures might help explain why. But in that case, one would also expect Switzerland to get involved, no?

More: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance...-to-the-piigs/

---

Don't worry, we've got a fantastic printing press
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Oh joy, the Nu Liemore spin machine has already started pushing out "facts" and "figures" to support El Gordo's up and coming billion euro cash handout to save Euroland and in turn the world.

I can't wait to see the one eyed snot goblin stand up pull down our trousers once more and give us yet another massive rogering before leaving us to drown in his mountains of debt while he flits around the world making millions on the speech circuit.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
        Oh joy, the Nu Liemore spin machine has already started pushing out "facts" and "figures" to support El Gordo's up and coming billion euro cash handout to save Euroland and in turn the world.

I can't wait to see the one eyed snot goblin stand up pull down our trousers once more and give us yet another massive rogering before leaving us to drown in his mountains of debt while he flits around the world making millions on the speech circuit.
        I'd like to think that in real life I'm fairly laid back and mild-mannered. However, every time I see that utterly f*$cking useless sack of tulip on the TV/hear him on the radio I feel total hatred. Is this normal?
        ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

I hope they don't show that on CNN, I hate seeing people from poor countries being badly treated.

PZZ

Comment

Completely.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
              I hope they don't show that on CNN, I hate seeing people from poor countries being badly treated.

PZZ
              ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                I'd like to think that in real life I'm fairly laid back and mild-mannered. However, every time I see that utterly f*$cking useless sack of tulip on the TV/hear him on the radio I feel total hatred. Is this normal?

I think so, I never used to get like that until Tony B Liar started getting lots of media coverage and it's only got worse since El Gordo took over...

Comment

I think so, I never used to get like that until Tony B Liar started getting lots of media coverage and it's only got worse since El Gordo took over...
                  Lots of us started getting that feeling in 1979.
                  Step outside posh boy

Comment

its like a financial armageddon out there
                    Question is who will sink first , Europe or US ?
                    it seems dirty spekulants are playing the same game with euro they played with asian economies in 90's.

Comment

Working...
                    X