• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lining up your next gig

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lining up your next gig

Started my first gig for 3 months. How should I go about lining up my next one? Should I speak to agencies, use LinkedIn, put my CV up on monster? I am hoping to stay in the North West, so anywhere within commuting distance. What should I do to maximise my chances?

Advice appreciated?

Is there something about living in the North West that makes one have to digitise every thought ?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

how about look to seizing any opportunity to make yourself invaluable in the current gig so that you don't have to move..
      • give a good impression to those who matter
      • meet deadlines
      • be seen to be busy (irrelevant of if you actually are, that's what photocopiers, notebooks and 10 min toilet breaks are for)
      • never start with "this isn't how it was done at my last place"
      • always look to suggest giving yourself worth but no extra work/responsibility (tricky but doable)
      • dont put your neck on the line with a solution unless your 999% sure it will work guaranteed
      • work out who the decision makers are (i.e those that will decide to extend you or not) and ensure they receive the right impression at all times
      • do your work well and with pride as being sloppy only catches up with you in the future
      • don't brag about your rate or lifestyle and learn from past experiences with any other contractors on site (a lot of my gigs have been via people I have worked with in the past)
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
        Is there something about living in the North West that makes one have to digitise every thought ?

I blame Wilmslow, though is it technically in the NW?
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
          I blame Wilmslow, though is it technically in the NW?
          Yup, tiny bit south of Manchester so it qualifies.

Comment

Steal as many pens as possible from the stationary cupboard. Envelopes are good currency too.
            Cats are evil.

Comment

In my experience, most gigs are filled within a week. Last year I endured tremendous hounding from an agent over a gig for which I insisted the client would have to wait six weeks so I could complete my current gig, until the client said they were happy to wait. (I'd applied for the second at the same time as the first, but the second moved much more slowly.)

I've never bothered thinking about the next gig until I'm out of the previous one; then I decide how much time I want/can afford to take off before getting back in the game. Clients seeking contractors to start three months hence are sufficiently rare that I have never encountered them.

As with everything in this peculiar world of ours, YMMV

Comment

I suggest a combination of the advice given by Chef & NickF....

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
                  I suggest a combination of the advice given by Chef & NickF....
                  Curiously for a collection of people who earn money by being paid for the application of their hard-earned knowledge, quite a few CUK people like those two will give you valuable and hard-earned knowledge for free here. Make good use of it.
                  Step outside posh boy

Comment

Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
                    Curiously for a collection of people who earn money by being paid for the application of their hard-earned knowledge, quite a few CUK people like those two will give you valuable and hard-earned knowledge for free here. Make good use of it.
                    What a great Plan B.. Tips on being a contractor website/book/coaching dvd

aimed specifically at those who haven't worked out how to search in google or to read the guides (======>)
                    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                    X