• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When contract jobs go bad..........

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When contract jobs go bad..........

Its Friday I can't be bothered much today so was just wondering peoples experiences of bad contracts. I was talking about this with someone last night and so far the worst contract I have had was being stuck on a desk on my own could not talk to anyone because of some crazy high desk divides and I had hardly anything to do, no messenger, internet monitored, i was bored sh1t13ss!!!

I know thats not really bad by any means but has anyone had any really bad ones and was it so bad it actually made you leave or did you see it through?

Originally posted by curtis View Post
    Its Friday I can't be bothered much today so was just wondering peoples experiences of bad contracts. I was talking about this with someone last night and so far the worst contract I have had was being stuck on a desk on my own could not talk to anyone because of some crazy high desk divides and I had hardly anything to do, no messenger, internet monitored, i was bored tulip13ss!!!

I know thats not really bad by any means but has anyone had any really bad ones and was it so bad it actually made you leave or did you see it through?
    My very first contract was with a bank doing a deployment. I was the only contractor in the team. Within a week I had the nickname contractor (replace the O with a U) from one particular techi you then spent 3 months making sure my life was hell and screwing things up. Stupid things like when people came in looking for a hot desk they gave them mine (I worked midday till late for afterhours deployments), wouldn't pack anything in to a box and stuck to his work spec like glue.

I was told by people in and out of the contract to go to HR for bullying let alone a risk to the project but it was my first contract and no way was I pulling out so saw it through but by god it was hard work.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 12 February 2010, 09:23.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Usually I have a very small laptop with mobile broadband.

At 'locked down' sites where I'm not allowed the laptop or phone etc. I currently take a copy of a text book in a foreign language and try and work out what it says. I used to do this with Asterix comics which are much easier to source in multiple languages, but someone remarked 'he just sits reading comics at his desk'.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I had a role once.... so bad that I left it.

A very large and "worthwhile" (ie good name on cv) end client......
        A mid-sized consultancy.......
        Me (no pimp but obviously the consultancy wold take a cut)

Consultancy wanted a really "big deal" with client....
        Client had a ongoing bag of tulip....
        Consultancy thought "we can do this as a loss leader"

Drewster came along.............

Endless "banging head against wall"...
        Management (Client) only got involved to "reject" solutions..... and put up more barriers.....
        Management (Consultancy) only got involved to push for "big deal"....
        PM (Client) was leaving "to pursue other interests".....
        PM (Client) told me "privately" that it was all a total pile of tulip and they were looking for a scapegoat... which wasn't going to be him.....

I decided it wasn't going to be me either....... we parted company... vaguely on good terms... ie we all gritted teeth, shook hands and "walked away"

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
          Its Friday I can't be bothered much today so was just wondering peoples experiences of bad contracts. I was talking about this with someone last night and so far the worst contract I have had was being stuck on a desk on my own could not talk to anyone because of some crazy high desk divides and I had hardly anything to do, no messenger, internet monitored, i was bored tulip13ss!!!

No contract is bad if your invoices get paid.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Hm, not sure about that Cojak! My most memorable contract was in Liverpool, for a well known catalogue company. Team leader was an absolute horror, a real bully. He always appeared mildly hysterical, and took a strong dislike to me.

Other than him, the contract was actually fairly enjoyable, and I had a good rappport with other colleagues.

However, after one unpleasant incident involving him barging into a meeting of mine and accusing me of something quite serious, in front of some rather senior stakeholders; I handed in my notice. ClientCo actually then binned him and asked me to stay (which I did).
            Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
            +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
              My most memorable contract was in Liverpool, for a well known catalogue company.
              Razzle?
              Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
                Razzle?
                Mayfair actually
                Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  No contract is bad if your invoices get paid.
                  True, but I have had contracts where the real job title was "scapegoat".
                  Step outside posh boy

Comment

I make a point of giving off the impression that I do not give a toss and make it known that if I was to be let go today I would be more than happy. I offset that by making sure the job is always done and to a decent standard.

The worst thing that can happen to someone trying to get at you is to make sure you cannot be got at. It pisses them off no end.

Comment

Working...
                    X