• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another week on the bench.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another week on the bench.

Wow. Six weeks and nothing(well apart from the two roles that cancelled each other out that is). 14 years since I went contracting. never had to wait 6 weeks before!!!

I seem to have been on the short-list/had my CV sent for 6 roles now that when I followed up on have all just fizzled out.

Oh well, back to it next week.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Right here with you. By far the longest period ever on the bench (in 10 years of contracting). Not many contracts being advertised, and a lot of people fighting over the few that are, so it seems.

I've... I've even agreed to be put forward for a couple of permie jobs, though I'm really doing everything I can to avoid that humiliation. Fortunately, permie jobs seem to take weeks, if not months, in the selection and interview process, so at least I can keep scrambling for contracts in the meantime.

Comment

MF, if Memory prevails, in the past you always used to go for easy reporting contracts and get them every time. Maybe you've just raised your sights, which is no bad thing as long as the dosh holds out.
      Have a good weekend!

Comment

I've only been benched for 3 weeks but finding another gig has never been so urgent before, 18 months of crap rates and a few gaps have left me with nothing to fall back on.

I do have a contract in the bag but it doesn't start for another 4 weeks, normally this would be 'bliss' time where I can relax and enjoy the time off but I just can't afford to ATM.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Its a tulip market right now. You got to get down and be dirty!

Thank goodness my last contract lasted three and a half years and, I didnt take any holidays!!

HTH.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Drop rates and/or work on Plan B if you think it can make you more.

Comment

I'm not sure whether to drop my rates or switch to BA from PM

I think I might stick to my guns for a while more and then drop and switch.
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                I think I might stick to my guns for a while more and then drop and switch.
                Dead man's switch?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Dead man's switch?
                  If I got to the 8 month limit again, probably
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

you've got a fair way before the dressing gown though.

Comment

Working...
                    X