• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Remote support software

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote support software

Of late I've been doing a lot of PC fixing. It is to me an annoyance, an interuption and usually I just want to get "in and out" as quickly as possible.

I had discovered something. I am absolutely tulip-hot at fixing windows problems. Had a few ones recently I would challenge even the most proficient of engineers to find. Being a software developer for all these years means I know Windows under the bonnet better than most, and have been around the block a few times and can remember a time "before windows"

Someone recently "in awe" of what I did and how quickly said "you should really charge people for this"

Well, alrighty then. So it dawns on me that some sort of remote desktop software a la web ex, gotomypc etc etc is in order.

What if any has the community used and can recommend?

The thing about web ex that pees me off is when they say "talk to your local supplier for subscription options and pricing. FFS just tell me how much you a-holes.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

what did you fix that was so great?

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
      Most recently the great fix was a slow surfing problem.
      Line speed was ok.
      Tracert through the gateway was ok.
      Browser was ok.

Yet every time you opened a page you had to wait 20-30 s, then the page would load.

I popped Wireshark on the box, and watched the packets for a bit and noticed with every page load (or fresh DNS lookup) there was a raft of NetBios packets being sprayed about.

Checked the IP stack and sure enough NetBios or TCPIP was enabled. It was looking for a Wins server, timing out and then doing the DNS server lookup.

Flicked off the NetBios setting and Roberts your fathers brother.

20 mins.

Now get back on topic you tit.

Comment

I hope it wasnt a corporate laptop - you may have just broken something when they get back on their corporate network!

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
          Frankfurt Stock Exchange (out of hours.) It was cut the red or blue wire type scenario. I guessed and it was correct, if I as wrong; they would have sued me for every penny.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
            I hope it wasnt a corporate laptop - you may have just broken something when they get back on their corporate network!
            Nope, home PC.

Or reading windows crashdumps to pinpoint specific driver problems. Not your average Tech Guys spotty oik eh?

I thangyou.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              I guessed and it was correct, if I as wrong; they would have sued me for every penny.
              Better than being blown to pieces by IED...

IGMC and go to the office now, early visit to data center was successful...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Better than being blown to pieces by IED...

IGMC and go to the office now, early visit to data center was successful...
                Do you need me to remote in and help with anything? Very reasonable rates

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  Do you need me to remote in and help with anything? Very reasonable rates
                  Can you remote fix problem with server that crashed and stuck in BIOS waiting for F1 to be pressed?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Can you remote fix problem with server that crashed and stuck in BIOS waiting for F1 to be pressed?
                    I have sentiens for that.

HTH

Comment

Working...
                    X