• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving Out Of IT And Getting A Pay Cut - Would You Do That

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving Out Of IT And Getting A Pay Cut - Would You Do That

28 and doing my first contract at a bank in London - I have always been in IT (for the last five years).

I have an offer to move away from IT and into a more sales role where I will still need IT (And they expect me to knock stuff up in VBA) but I wil be doing non IT stuff predominantly..

Basically looking at datasets and doing some stats

The only problem is its a perm role paying 75K plus a hypothetical bonus - Contracting for the last six months has spoilt me.

What would others on the forum do?

EDIT : I can continue doing C# @500 a day and am pretty sure that this contract will roll on. Only problem is it is mind numbingily boring messing about with crap systems and doing all sorts of fire fighting work
    Last edited by joey122; 13 February 2010, 13:05.

Originally posted by joey122 View Post
    28 and doing my first contract at a bank in London - I have always been in IT (for the last five years).

I have an offer to move away from IT and into a more sales role where I will still need IT (And they expect me to knock stuff up in VBA) but I wil be doing non IT stuff predominantly..

Basically looking at datasets and doing some stats

The only problem is its a perm role paying 75K plus a hypothetical bonus - Contracting for the last six months has spoilt me.

What would others on the forum do?

EDIT : I can continue doing C# @500 a day and am pretty sure that this contract will roll on. Only problem is it is mind numbingily boring messing about with crap systems and doing all sorts of fire fighting work
    a) Go for it
    b) 'Koff - Seriously

Seperate note:
    Always = 5 years.... FFS!
    Permie Sales 75k p/a - Yeah Yeah...
    Code Donkey confident of getting £500 p/d.... - Yeah Yeah

[Note to self]
    Don't feed the Troll
    [/Note to self]

Comment

C# in banks is paying more than 500 a day in Europe.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
        C# in banks is paying more than 500 a day in Europe.
        but not in the UK
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Stop.

Joey time!

Comment

Sometimes I don't understand why these blatant sockies and trolls (and their owners) are allowed to survive on CUK. Surely they don't add any value to the place.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
              Sometimes I don't understand why these blatant sockies and trolls (and their owners) are allowed to survive on CUK. Surely they don't add any value to the place.
              I know.

Am getting sick of this turd and his mate newblood.

Comment

same old dilema attention seeking MO covered with a nice sprinkling of arrogance YAWN
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                  Stop.

Joey time!
                  Is that like Hammertime, without the bad trousers and music?
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                    Sometimes I don't understand why these blatant sockies and trolls (and their owners) are allowed to survive on CUK.
                    I agree. Ban 'em all I say!

Comment

Working...
                    X