• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New tax bombshell: 20% VAT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New tax bombshell: 20% VAT

A rise in VAT is looming whichever party wins the general election, as Labour and the Conservatives draw up plans to balance Britain’s books.

Alistair Darling and George Osborne, the Shadow Chancellor, are both considering raising VAT to as high as 20 per cent — the European average — from the current rate of 17.5 per cent, The Times has learnt. (AtW's comment: of course they are considering, it's their job - now if they DECIDED to do that then this article would be really interesting!)

Doing so would raise an extra £13 billion a year at a time when financial markets are searching for signs that whoever takes power is serious about tackling Britain’s £178 billion deficit.

Though Labour and the Tories have denied having any current plans to increase VAT, neither will rule it out and The Times understands a rise in the tax is being considered by both parties.

One City source close to the Tory tax team said: “There is a view across the Conservative Party that VAT is going to have to go up.”

The Chancellor is also keenly aware that Britain needs to retain the confidence of the credit-rating agencies. He has privately ruled out either raising income taxes or increasing the scope of VAT, but has deliberately left open the possibility of increasing the sales tax in the next Parliament.

It is understood that there are discussions in the Treasury about whether the Government should abandon its deliberate pre-Budget opacity and instead look to win points for honesty by admitting that VAT may have to rise. (AtW's comment: Nu Liebor will avoid raising VAT to 20% to make Cons do it and then blame them)

Ken Clarke, the Shadow Business Secretary, told The Times that any post-election cuts imposed by a Tory government would be worse than the squeeze of the early 1980s. “We are going to have to be much tougher on public spending than Margaret Thatcher ever was,” he said.

Asked about VAT, Mr Clarke told The Times: “We are vague about tax increases because we don’t like them.”

David Cameron signalled that he would go into the election seeking to distance himself from the inevitable economic pain that was to follow. “The cuts that are coming, make no mistake — they are Gordon Brown’s cuts,” he told the Scottish Conservative conference in Perth yesterday. “That is his inheritance to Britain.”

His comments came as the latest indicators from the eurozone suggested that the economic recovery may be stalling.

The German economy, Europe’s largest, failed to grow at all in the last three months of 2009 after two quarters of growth. The eurozone as a whole grew by only 0.1 per cent, a slowdown from 0.4 per cent growth in the previous quarter. Italy slipped back into negative growth and Spain and Greece remained in recession.

Source: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle7025833.ece

There's no doubt in my mind that VAT is going up. One reason I'm not voting this year is because all the politicans are lying about the true state of the economy. I will not vote for liars.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
      There's no doubt in my mind that VAT is going up. One reason I'm not voting this year is because all the politicans are lying about the true state of the economy. I will not vote for liars.
      The truth is so horific that no party will tell it.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

They are not lieing - they are just not telling the truth

Comment

Still not going to vote for liars.

Comment

Dropping VAT by 2.5% had little effect on the economy, as many thought, but cost a lot of money.

So logic would dictate that increasing VAT by 2.5% will again have little effect on the economy, but would raise a lot of money.

It sounds like a good idea to me

Comment

Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
              Dropping VAT by 2.5% had little effect on the economy, as many thought, but cost a lot of money.

So logic would dictate that increasing VAT by 2.5% will again have little effect on the economy, but would raise a lot of money.

It sounds like a good idea to me
              I'd be OK with it if only the lying toe rags would tell the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
                It would also increase rate of inflation. Some (many?) retailers just increase their own margin by 2.5%, and saved on changing prices on shelves - you bet they'll do it once it would start costing them 2.5% in margin.

In theory this should have lead to BoE rates going up also but we live in strange times...

Comment

I'd be OK with it if only the lying toe rags would tell the truth.
                  The problem with this theory is finding a politician who isn't a lying toe rag...

If you do locate one I'm sure we will all be thoroughly shocked, stunned and amazed.

As others have posted the 2.5% VAT rate drop didn't help the economy by any noticable amount, an increase will raise a load of cash to fund the incompetant muppets in government.
                  It's undeniable that the deficit has to be tackled and since revenues won't improve due to a dramatic increase in activity tax increases are inevitable.

Comment

It's still quite incredible that despite politicos skipping the light fandango and turning policy cartwheels 'cross the floor, they have failed to observe the rather large pacaderm in the modern two bed prefab, ultra-thin plaster walled room:

we have a taxpayer funded army of QUANGOs, box tickers, losers, diversity freaks, H&S morons, wealth devourers, a giant health industry and welfare system that treats and feeds the world and of course, let us not forget, a public sector ponzi pension scheme that is totally unaffordable now, was totally unaffordable in the past, and will be totally unaffordable in the future.

Until this wealth devouring parasite is slain back to a bare, wriggling, administrative pupa, all talk about cost cutting and recovery is simply no more valid than rearranging the deckchairs on a fast sinking Titanic.
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                    X