• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Valentines day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valentines day

Has been heavily advertised this year and will no doubt be a big commercial success. In the supermarket today they were endlessly banging on and on about it over the tannoy and the flower shops were heaving. The TV has been non stop valentines adverts for about a month. At this rate Valentines days will become as big as Christmas. Kerching.

I like the, roughly paraphrased, comment from a writer in the local rag: Valentines day is not about gifts or romance, it's a test, one that your relationship may depend on.

Do men really give a fig about yet another date to remember to use their acting skills on?

I was sat in Sainburys car park with my daughter waiting for the wife as she had nipped in to get something, I noticed lot's of blokes streaming out the shop clutching cards and roses... suckers!!!!

Thank gawd the wife also thinks its a big commercial con, we agreed to make each other a card.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
      Thank gawd the wife also thinks its a big commercial con, we agreed to make each other a card.
      She'll probably remember that and change her view in case of divorce.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        She'll probably remember that and change her view in case of divorce.
        This is a thread where pertinent input is dependant upon having had a relationship with someone of the opposite sex. Sockpuppets don't count, nor do females with the surname jpeg. Sorry AtW, you are out.
        Why not tell us about your lunch?
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post

Dude I cant believe you failed the first test women provide ........

Comment

This day is the biggest con ever, if your relationship is dependant on if you get your significant other something on this day..................

Then you need to have a serious rethink about it!
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I saw a couple in the supermarket today, miserable looking pair - while she perused the veg, he grabbed the nearest bunch of flowers and chucked them in the trolley; I heard her laugh and ask if that was her valentines present, he replied that it would save him having to go out first thing to get her some, and to 'chill out' because he'd 'give her the money back'.
              Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
              +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by NeverBeenNorthOfTheM25 View Post
                Dude I cant believe you failed the first test women provide ........
                Hmmm 19 years says otherwise.

Anyway she'd be furious if I spent money whilst we're dipping into 'rainy day' savings to pay the mortgage.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Nothing wrong with avoiding the commercial aspects but using the excuse to cook a nice meal, let some wine breath and light a few more candles.

Something we do regularly anyway and no need to affirm love on any particular day. What's wrong with being romantic?
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                    Nothing wrong with avoiding the commercial aspects but using the excuse to cook a nice meal, let some wine breath and light a few more candles.

Something we do regularly anyway and no need to affirm love on any particular day. What's wrong with being romantic?
                    WHS

We always make the effort on the weekend, in fact almost every meal time. We rarely just chuck something in the oven.

Comment

Working...
                    X