• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Venison

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Venison

If I can find some I want to cook venison. I guess what I want is a steak, typically served in 1/2inch thick slices a few cm wide.

Any advice how to cook it and what to accompany it with?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If I can find some I want to cook venison. I guess what I want is a steak, typically served in 1/2inch thick slices a few cm wide.

Cooking wise treat it a bit like beef, rare, medium rare, ruined.

Serve with whatever vegetables you like (crispy roast spuds or game chips perhaps) and don't overdo any sauces, the flavour is good and quite robust, but easy to spoil.

Comment

As said, just like steak, cook it how you normally like your cow (hopefully rare). Tis very nice.

Seems to benefit from rich fruity sauces - cherry, cranberry, blackberry, redcurrant.

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
      Cooking wise treat it a bit like beef, rare, medium rare, ruined.
      Went for a pub tea with my dad recently and this boozer does a cracking well aged steak. My dad asked for it well-done! Bl00dy heathen!

I had a go at him for ruining a good piece of beef and he said he'd been out a couple of weeks back at a posh place and had again asked for his steak well done. The waitress had returned a few moments later and sheepishly said she was sorry but the chef was not prepared to cook this steak well-done as it was such good stuff .

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Norrahe should be along here in a minute, she's the resident food expert
        I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Whenever I have had it, it has always been cooked and served as though it was beef, sliced thin.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
            Norrahe should be along here in a minute, she's the resident food expert
            Morning!

Venison goes well with winter veg, parsnips, swede, celariac, beetroot and squash. If you are using beetroot go easy as too much can overpower any dish.
            Roast spiced pears (cinnamon, cloves or mulling spices) are nice as well.

You can also do a spiced red cabbage.

Port or redcurrant will add a nice kick to a jus/gravy. Add a hint of rosemary or juniper.

You could finish the sauce off with a small hint of chocolate, to give the sauce some gloss and slight sweetness (use 99%).

Do not even think of cooking it anything other than pink, and make sure to rest it.

Carpaccio is very nice, but you would need to ensure you've got a nice piece of fillet.

Wines - depending on the sauce:
            Syrah or Riserva rioja - complement spices
            Bordeaux - herb port jus and earthy vegetables
            Or possibly a burgundy, but it would have be one at the higher end such as nuits-saint-georges etc....
            You can go for new world, but avoid anything too heavily oaked
            A barolo, chianti or montepulciano are good if you fancy Italian (anything from tuscan vinyards are good, as they do like their game in that region).
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

If it's Barry Venison, don't forget to take his shirt off first. His shirts are an eye-sore.

Comment

Oh go on then, I'll do it...

We're having chicken because venison is just too dear.

IGMC
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                  We're having chicken because venison is just too dear.
                  yes, best saved for a special occasion, like a stag night.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                    yes, best saved for a special occasion, like a stag night.
                    They're Bambi steaks you bastards!

Comment

Working...
                    X